Sunday, March 14, 2010

Don't Throw Away Your Snail Packaging!


I got the idea for this card from Joanne Travis, over at Sleepy in Seattle--go on over and check out her blog! She's a creative lady with lots of great ideas. She thought that the plastic lid that our snail refills come in looks like a carrot (I thought it could be a carrot or a red chili pepper--you could fill it with red candy and do a Mexican theme too!) and decided to make a sweet-treat-cup-style card using the plastic piece. It's a stinkin' cute idea, if I do say so myself! I used orange Starburst jelly beans, but you could use any red or orange candy, really. I also made a little slider in the back so the recipient can get the candy out without destroying the card. I used my 1 3/4" circle punch to make the hole in the back--it isn't centered because the punch doesn't reach that far, but it is open enough to work. You can find a tutorial for the slider at Inking Idaho.

I used Kiwi Kiss as my base and Only Orange as the middle layer--this color combo is not for the faint of heart! The best way to get your carrot/pepper shape is to lay the lid on the cardstock with the front part flat on the page, and the open part facing up. Use a pencil to trace around the edges, then cut out using paper snips (I used a hobby blade to slit the middle so I could get the scissors in without leaving a mark on the edge). You will need to cut just a millimeter or so outside your pencil line so that the lid will fit without causing the cardstock to bubble. Use scotch tape to tape the edges of the lid down on the backside and that's it! I would recommend doing all the stamping before you put the lid in--it is a lot easier!

Supplies:
Kiwi Kiss, Only Orange, Whisper White cs
Forest Friends, Warm Words stamps
Creamy Caramel ink, Only Orange, Old olive, blush blossom markers
Old Olive striped grosgrain ribbon

3 comments:

  1. What a wonderful (and cute) idea! Thanks for sharing. Very cute card.

    Debra
    Conroe, TX

    My Blog: Creative Heart Designs

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea! TFS

    - Elizabeth (missimagination.com)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw this on Joanne's site too! Wasn't that a fantastic idea?!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking time to leave a note! I appreciate it so much!!