Friday, March 12, 2010

Decor Elements: Fox and Friends

The view from the doorway (notice the brown curtains??); the toy box is doubling as a diaper changing center, at least until we can get him potty trained. We're working on it. Sort of.
At long last, the promised pictures of my son's new room. I should more accurately call it the children's room, because our ultimate plan is to put most of our children in this room eventually, but for now, it just has one occupant as the new baby will inhabit the tiny nursery room next to our bedroom until it makes sense to move him/her. Like all the rooms in our 1888 row home, it is small (probably 8'x10') and lacks a closet, but I think it turned out well. There is a closet in the adjacent room that I am using half of for his things. I think it will work out fine. This room is part of a much later addition onto the house, but one that predated us, so the way that the room is attached to the older part of the house is a little odd. The layout of the original house is such that all the rooms connect to one another, which means that very little space is lost to hallways and the bathrooms (part of the addition) are efficiently located at half-intervals on the stair case. Confused yet? Basically, we have three floors, with 5 small rooms on the upper two floors, with the living room and kitchen occupying the first floor. There are two full size closets in the whole house and neither is located in a room currently in use as a bedroom.

Standing in front of the rocking chair (the doorway is to the right of the pack-n-play)
Anyway, my son's room is connected to the back end of the old house on the second floor and whoever made the addition on the house basically just cut a rectangular hole up as high as the ceiling and didn't bother to frame it out or make it connect to the closet wall in the next room in an intelligent manner. And because it is a masonry wall, the doorway is about 12" thick. So the doorway between the middle room and my son's room is far larger than any standard doorway and would be difficult to frame out to accommodate a door. When we were renovating the house in 2007, it was a low priority, given the amount of other major things that needed doing in the house and we have opted to leave it alone for now and see how things work out. Hence the brown curtains hanging in the doorway. I bought some new ones that are supposed to help dampen noise (and keep out light) and I'm hoping that will do the trick. There is also a window at the back of the room, but I couldn't get a decent photograph of it because of the lighting, so you'll just have to take my word for it!

The view from the icon corner (see first photo for icon corner); like my Kyrgyz felt wall hanging of a yurt?
The room, which was formerly my office/craft room, had been painted a kind of peach (my husband says it is creamsicle colored) and I decided to leave it that color and put up the Fox and Friends Decor Elements to give it some little boy vibes. Three of the four walls in the room are plaster over concrete or masonry, so hanging pictures is a bit challenging in there (thank goodness for Command Strips!) and the vinyl decor elements seemed the perfect solution! I just bought the elements that featured animals (the entire set of 26 has various images--see the decor elements catalog on the sidebar for more information). I'm really pleased with how they came out! They were quite easy to apply and all the colors went very well with the creamsicle walls. :)

The view from the pack-n-play--my sister made the quilt for my son when he was born and my mom made the pillow cover.


1 comment:

  1. sooo cute!! thanks for sharing! the room looks great!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking time to leave a note! I appreciate it so much!!