Saturday, February 6, 2010

Sun Rises over Japan

Huh?, you say. Well, lemme explain. No wait, is too long. Lemme summarize. (Yes, I'm a Princess Bride fan). La Zindorf posted this funky tutorial earlier this week and I had to try it right away! Her card had a more vintage funky vibe to it, but because of a few substitutions I had to make, I think my final project kind of has an Asian flair to it and vaguely reminds me of the Japanese flag. So there you have it.

I actually had almost all the ink and most of the other supplies on hand--that always makes it easier. I just substituted the vine from Thoughts and Prayers for the vine on the Vintage Vogue set, which I don't have. The other little thing I changed was the gold stamping--my cheapie generic gold pigment pad that I had for a long time dried up, so when I went to stamp with it, that was a no-go! Instead, I stamped in Versamark and embossed it clear, following the tutorial instructions (except for the vine--I had to stamp/emboss the vines before sponging the tempting turquoise to resist the ink) and then at the end, I used a gold uniball gel pen (like the white one but gold) to go over all the embossed parts and make them look gold stamped. Sort of gave it a gold leaf look, but I like the funky vibe and the bright colors. Oh, the other change was to use Rich Razzleberry instead of Elegant eggplant because I don't have that color ink yet and it was an easy substitution.

The only little oopsies are that I didn't quite get all the crumbs of clear emboss powder off the page before embossing, so there is a bit of feathering here and there (live and learn, and then get Luvs), and I forgot to wipe off the darker sponged ink on the embossed edges before applying gold gel pen, which gives the gold a gradient effect, but actually, I kind of like it!

2 comments:

  1. I saw your link on Michelle's blog & you did a great job with your attempt at that card. I just love the way it looks like it glows!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw your link on Michelle's blog & you did a great job with your interpretation. I love how it looks like it glows.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking time to leave a note! I appreciate it so much!!