Monday, February 22, 2010

Buttons, Buttons



My Saturday post featured clear buttons and punched cardstock to create a unique look. I was on a creative streak that afternoon and decided to catch up on Stamping 411 sketches and some color challenges I had floating around. I liked last week's Stamping 411 sketch but didn't get a chance to do anything with it in time, but better late than never, right? I also missed the deadline for the color challenge, which is from Just Add Ink, but I wanted to give the combo a go--More Mustard, Sage Shadow, Rose Red and Kraft. It was a challenge, to be sure.

I still had Flower Fancy sitting on my desk as my back up set for Saturday's card and decided that I should use it for this card. The clean lines of the card layout and the simple line design of the flower seemed to go together in my mind. Again, I used a 3/4" circle and 1/2" circle around a clear button to create a customized look. It is easy to make these--just punch the circles, (they fit the smallest button in the container--just adjust your sizes as you move up in button size) and sponge the edges with the same color ink to give some depth. Put a bit of snail on the smallest one and adhere to the front of the button (be sure your sponged side is up). Take your paper piercer and lightly prick the two holes from behind but don't go all the way through the cardstock yet. Add the 3/4" circle to the back with the sponged side facing up (so that it goes against the back of the button. Take your sanding block and lightly sand around the edges to curl them. Blow off the dust and run your finger around the edges. Then take your piercer again and poke holes from front to back, all the way through. This way your cardstock will push through the holes rather than stick out the front and look unsightly. Add thread or cardstock scrap and mini glue dot and you're done!

I like the finished product, but I wish I had a Big Shot so I could dry emboss the Sage Shadow layer or something. It seems like it needs a little more texture. I did sand the Sage Shadow layer, which gave it a little bit of a sueded look, but it is hard to see in the photographs.


Supplies:
Kraft, Very Vanilla, More Mustard, Sage Shadow cs, Rose Red dsp
Flower Fancy stamp set
Soft Suede, More Mustard, Sage Shadow, Rose red markers/ink
Clear button
1/2" and 3/4" circle punches
kraft taffeta ribbon
sanding blocks
paper piercing tool
gold embroidery thread
mini glue dot

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking time to leave a note! I appreciate it so much!!