Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Cheddar Bunnies on a Hot Air Balloon

Today we commenced potty training with my older son. As it is our first day of concerted effort (we've been half-heartedly putting him on the potty every now and again for months), there were the predictible accidents and so on, but we soldier on nonetheless. He did seem to think the "big boy" training pants were pretty neat, so maybe the novelty of it will help as well. He did ask for his diaper when we were trying to get him to put on the trainers, and seemed a little confused, but soon got into it. I ordered this nifty little timer called Itzbeen to help me keep track of the time so I remember to put him on the potty every half hour or so. Our sitter is helping us as well, which is great because she has a ton of experience with these things.

And now for something completely different...the larch. Oh wait, different card. Sorry. :)


Today's card is a riff on an idea I got from Mary-Jo Price-Williams. Remember the sweet treats cups from the last two mini catalogs? She had wanted one of the stamp sets that coordinated with them and featured a hot air balloon image, but didn't have the set, so she modified a different set (Nursery Necessities) she did have to make the hot air balloon. Brilliant! I filed her idea away for a rainy day (and it is sauna steamy here today with intermittent rain!) and decided today was the day. One of my nephews will turn 5 this month and I wanted to make him a cool card, and thought again of the hot air balloon idea.


I pulled out last week's ColourQ color challenge, because I thought it was the perfect color scheme for a boy's card, plus I happened to have a sheet of ballet blue to hand, and combined it with the Stamping 411 sketch for this week. I ended up modifying the sketch a bit, turning it on its side and moving the sentiment down, but I like the final result!


In a moment of inspiration, I decided to put a bunch of cheddar bunnies crackers in the cup, because I wanted something lightweight so the card wouldn't be top-heavy, and also because it was kind of matchy-matchy with my color scheme.

Here's hoping the birthday boy likes it! Since these cards have to be mailed in bubble mailers, I found a cool Toy Story 3 one at the post office and got it just for this card.

Supplies:

Ballet Blue, Pumpkin Pie, Chocolate Chip, Certainly Celery, Naturals White cs
Nursery Necessities, Birthday Bliss, Sweet Sentiments stamp sets
Ballet Blue, Pumpkin Pie, Chocolate Chip, Barely Banana inks/markers
copper eyelet, CAD
Pumpkin pie grosgrain, Certainly Celery twill, kraft taffeta ribbon
1 3/4" circle punch, hobby knife
sweet treats cup
Annie's Whole Wheat Cheddar Bunnies

3 comments:

  1. What a clever idea! I had never seen the Nursery Necessities trick for the hot air balloon, thanks for filing that idea away and sharing it with us now:) Good luck with the potty training! It's been a long time since I've dealt with that (my youngest is 10), but what worked for us was the "Big Boy Potty Chart" complete with metallic stickers he could attach every time he used the potty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too cute...love those little cups on cards! Thanks for playing along with Stamping 411!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a creative, unconventional use of Cheddar Bunnies, it's adorable!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking time to leave a note! I appreciate it so much!!