Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Round or Square?? Mojo Monday + Curtain Call Color Challenge

We've had weird weather here the last few days--Monday it was so muggy and almost warm that I didn't need a jacket at all, (plus it rained like the sky was falling--the kind of rain that makes me worry that our roof might not be able to take the pounding!) and then yesterday it was chilly and sunny. Go figure. My son loves to be outside and we had errands to run downtown, so he was happy as a clam to be with all the people walking around and checking everything out. He has taken to hailing every cab he sees by flinging his arm in the air and shouting "Hey!" But enough two-year-old antics. On to today's card.


I saw the curtain call color challenge (Act 13) on someone else's blog last week and thought I'd like to give it a try--pixie pink, pumpkin pie, whisper white and basic black--but didn't have time last week to do the challenge. When I saw the Mojo Monday sketch challenge this week, however, I knew that it would be the perfect starting place to do the color challenge. The Mojo Monday sketch offers the option of either a square or round card, and since I don't have a Big Shot (yet!) to make the base for a round card like that, it had to be a square one! I'm not always a fan of square cards--it is difficult to find envelopes that fit them properly and ill-fitting envelopes offend my sense of order. I know, I've got problems. :)


But I do know that 4 1/4 square cards fit okay in a standard A2, so I decided that was the size to go with. It took me a couple of tries to get the right layer order (I started out with a pixie pink base, but that just didn't work!) and to get the buttons to look right, but I'm pleased with the result.


That's why I like sketch challenges--they push me out of my zone to try new things! The new thing I tried on this card was to use the rhinestone from one of the rhinestone brads and adorn the center of the white latte button with it. I've seen lots of other people do this (most recently, Mary Fish) but hadn't been brave enough to destroy a rhinestone brad. Turns out it is very easy! Just pull apart the legs of the brad, then use a letter opener or something with a slim edge to pry up the prongs and you have a nice rhinestone, ready to use!

1 comment:

  1. Great color combination! I would never have thought of that! Looks great!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking time to leave a note! I appreciate it so much!!