I've been messing with some kind of stomach bug since late Saturday afternoon, so I didn't really intend to make a card today, but it is raining outside and I felt like doing some more watercoloring to take my mind off things. I spent several hours up again last night, wandering the house, and so, after I returned from my weekly midwifery visit this morning, I spent the morning sleeping. Thank goodness for babysitters! Unfortunately, this is her last week with us and we've not yet been able to find a replacement, so I'm going to heave a big sigh of sorrow on Friday unless we can find someone before then.
But on to today's card. I liked Stacey's Curtain Call Color Challenge this week--so bright and fresh--and wanted to incorporate it. I combined the color challenge with the Stamping 411 sketch challenge for this week and actually, this card came together pretty quickly! One little watercoloring trick I just learned from Diana Gibbs is to outline your watercolored images with a light blue or light gray (like Sahara Sand) line to make a bit of shadowing. It really makes the image pop off the page and gives it a more finished, professional look. I used Baja Breeze to add just a bit of shadow on the underside of the vine. It should be very subtle and light. Do you like the dsp in the background? I made it using the same floral that I watercolored--I just stamped it tone-on-tone with Certainly Celery ink. Did I mention that I love this stamp set? :)
I got a new camera last week (Nikon Coolpix, reconditioned, so more than half price!) that I'm still getting used to, so I hope the photo quality is good. So far I like it. I've been using a very cheap-o digital camera for the last year or so, and using my big Nikon N-65 35 mm for family shots, but I'm having an increasingly difficult time finding places to get my film developed, and we are starting to have photo storage issues, so I thought it was time to make the switch to digital and get our photos made into books at the end of every calendar year instead. I loved my N-65--it takes fabulous photos--but I also find that I'm reluctant to travel with it because it is bulky and don't take as many photos as I might be inclined to otherwise. Some might say that is a good thing, but I am a photo person, and I want my kids to be able to look through the albums as adults and see some kind of record of their childhoods!!
Supplies:
Certainly Celery, Pink Pirouette, Whisper White cs
Elements of Style stamp set
Jet Black Staz-on, Melon Mambo, Certainly Celery, Pink Pirouette, Baja Breeze inks
Aquapainter
Melon mambo grosgrain ribbon
paper snips
dimensionals
Your card is so pretty, love the colors.
ReplyDeleteWhat a beautiful card, great job with these colors! Thanks for playing along with the Curtain Call Crew!
ReplyDeleteso pretty, Juliana! love the soft bg and striking flower coloring:) thanks so much for playing the Curtain Call!
ReplyDeletelooks like bebe is coming soon?
Beautiful card, Juliana. I can't tell that you were having trouble with the Melon Mambo, it looks great. And the shadowing is very effective, I will have to remember that.
ReplyDeleteSimply Beautiful! The color, water coloring and design are perfect.
ReplyDeleteHi Juliana, you have been awarded the Sunshine Award for all you have done for From Our Hearts! See our blog post: http://www.fromourhearts.info/2010/04/a-little-sunshine.html
ReplyDeleteHugs, Martie Shea
Beautifully coloured image and a great use of this week's Curtain Call colours. Thanks for playing :D
ReplyDeleteone of the BEST job's I've seen coloring this image. It's so lifelike! You did an amazing job. Thanks for sharing your talents with us!
ReplyDeletePretty, pretty, pretty! Can't wait 'til I get this set! Glad you joined us at the Curtain Call this week.
ReplyDeleteThis is stunning Juliana! the colouring is absolutely brilliant! thanks for playing along with us this week! :)
ReplyDeleteVery pretty. I love that watercolored image. I thought it was a printed pattern paper. Beautifully done.
ReplyDeletePS: Enjoy the digital life. It is great for everyday use.
So pretty...excellent job on the coloring! And, thanks for the tip! Thanks for playing along this week.
ReplyDelete