I was all set to photograph the red polka dot headscarf this morning, but after putting it on, and trying it a few ways, I realized that I need to make it triangular instead of a big square. The fabric is quilt-weight, and so it is a little too bulky when doubled up and feels heavy on my head. Plus it felt a little too "spring-y" for the season, frankly. So I put it aside to work on another day.
So instead, I took a few quick snaps of my outfit today, because I wanted to show off a belt I bought on etsy a few weeks ago, for the fall season. I really love mustard-colored things, but am too pale to pull it off near my face. I'm always kind of trying to talk myself into thinking that it looks good, but really, it just doesn't. Better to stick with accessories or shoes: I had a pair of mustard colored ballet flats during one of my pregnancies that was great...until I had the baby and they didn't fit right any more. (The caveat on mustard is that I can wear it near my face if it is a really saturated jewel-like tone; I recently found a marigold-colored cardigan that I think will be great. I've shifted two other cardigans out of my Project 333 Fall rotation to make way for it).
Anyway. The belt. I saw it on etsy a long time ago, and saved it in my favorites, and decided to purchase it in August, when I was planning out my next three month rotation. I knew this belt would take my chambray dress into the fall, and would give me a bit of that mustard color I love so much. (The chambray dress is fitting a lot better these days...) I really like it with this light weight cardigan--it is a great transitional piece that I can swap for a heavier version when the weather gets colder.
Since I mentioned Project 333, I wanted to say that I'm adding in a few skirt sewing projects to my fall line up. With the success of my green twill skirt, I bought a few more colorways yesterday (including a lovely saturated mustard gold!), and plan to make up two of them for the fall. I decided that two of the cardigans I had in my Fall pile didn't really go with anything, and decided to move them out of the rotation to make room for two more skirts plus the marigold cardigan I found recently. I may also rotate out one of my layering shirts, as I realized that I wear the blue one more with my winter clothes. I'm finding that having a specific numeric target in my seasonal wardrobe helps me make focused purchases and appropriate swaps.
I also find that the first few weeks of the new rotation require a bit of tweaking here and there, especially when my rotation includes pieces-yet-to-be-made. I added in this striped shirt from my summer rotation, for example, because during the heat wave last week, I needed a lightweight shirt that could work for the cooler weather to come. This rotation has been a bit challenging as it has been especially summer-like the last two weeks, and really only cooled down over the weekend. It is starting to feel like fall in the morning, but is still in the upper 80s by afternoon. So, transitional weather: sandals and cardigans.
Just the facts:
Chambray dress: me made this summer
Cardigan: Express via ThredUp
Burlap belt: CountryCoutureCo
Shoes: Dankso via ebay
Earrings: etsy
Breton shirt: JCrew via ThredUp
Jeans: Amanda by Gloria Vanderbilt (via Amazon.com)
I'm also thinking of sewing two skirts for the autumn season. I have only used Amy Butlers Barcelona Skirt pattern. It's a pretty quick project and the directions are simple enough for my basic skill level. I'm on the lookout for something new though. I just have to say I really really enjoy reading your blog!��
ReplyDelete