I've been knitting a lot these last few weeks--I'm too hot to sew, and naptimes are perfect for knitting. I actually finished the green cardigan sweater last week, but as it is still in the mid-90s with about 85% humidity, I really can't bear to put it on to take photos--besides, that sweater has a lot of agony in the backstory that needs telling. I'll just give you a little peek:
I promise I will show it off properly as soon as it cools down a bit! I think it turned out pretty well.
I promise I will show it off properly as soon as it cools down a bit! I think it turned out pretty well.
I'm still working on the 1918 Walking Sweater, and I think I can say I'm in the home stretch. I still have to do most of the garter stitch on the front bottom section, but after that, it is just collar and cuffs, which should go pretty quickly, I think. This sweater has been an adventure in interpretation, I'll say. The instructions are *very* lean, and I've had to learn a few new techniques. It is a bit unwieldy at this point, but I guess I should just treat it like a blanket project and fold strategically.
I also cast on my Historical Sew Monthly project for September (theme: brown). It is a neckwarmer from 1933, and I spotted it at dottie angel and fell in love. It is basic garter stitch and small, so a good fast make during this crazy month. I had a bunch of other ideas for the brown theme, but this seems the most doable, plus the most useful for my current wardrobe needs (and will match my favorite gauntlets from last winter).
I have some marigold-colored cotton-linen yarn from KnitPicks that I'm going to make up into some kind of accessory soon, as it is the perfect golden color for fall--I just need to settle on a pattern. I can't decide between gauntlets, a skinny scarflet, a cowl or collar, or something else. I'm tempted to make another quick cardigan, but would need more yarn. Decisions, decisions...
As for reading, my stack is high, but I'm currently reading The Combat-Ready Kitchen on my kindle, which is an amusing romp through the military-industrial food complex. Before that, I was reading The Dressmaker, which was just made into a film (I've not seen it). It is equal parts disturbing and interesting. I'm not sure I could handle the film, honestly. Prior to The Dressmaker, I read The Dress Thief, which was an excellent novel about high fashion couture and fashion piracy set in 1930s Paris. I recommend it for a light but engaging read.
Linking with Ginny for Yarn Along.

yay green cardi! love the buttons! I hope it cools down soon for you all; it's much better for us today!
ReplyDelete