I mentioned that I have a few projects lined up for my fall wardrobe. I admit, it took me a little while to get enthusiastic about sewing again, but I think I'm ready to tackle these projects. I'm feeling better about the direction my body is heading, size-wise, and I'm also keeping things simple and trying to work with patterns I've made before, and save my fitting headaches for new slopers.
1. Burgundy Rayon Portrait blouse: this 1980s rayon remnant ended up in my stash after last year's birthday. I admit, I was afraid to use it, in part because it is an odd size, and in part because rayon scared me. After making the Melody dress, I'm less daunted, as the rayon is similar in structure and drape. That said, I'm sticking to a Tried-And-True (TNT) pattern: Gertie's Portrait blouse. (I made a ton of these two summers ago) I'm doing the plain (non-button front) version to keep things extra simple to highlight the pretty floral design. I think it will look lovely with several of my fall skirts, paired with a cardigan and boots.
2. Melody Rayon Portrait blouse: I have enough fabric left over from making the dress that I wanted to make a simple blouse too. I've been admiring Stephanie's combination of Norma Jean blouse with a green skirt, and wanted to make my own version. Again, because the fabric has a busy print, I'm sticking with a simple Portrait blouse. I debated a long time whether to push this project off to the spring, but I think I'd like to make it now, as it will get some wear before the weather turns colder.
3. Kelly green cotton twill skirt (see green swatch above): I know, I know, I already have a kelly green skirt. But there are a bunch of things I don't like about it, and haven't really worn it much as a result. I really love the color, and it matches almost every blouse I've made. But the fabric isn't really what I'd hoped it would be. I like the idea of a linen-cotton blend, but the fabric has never softened up the way 100% linen does, and it is a little bit on the itchy side. It has also stayed somewhat stiff, and I'd been wanting something with a bit more drape. I also don't love how full it is, and I wish I had top-stitched the pockets down, as the self-facing wants to flip out constantly.
I'm also unhappy with the fit, particularly around the lower back and waist--it pulls weirdly across my lower back (probably too tight) and gapes around my waist (too big). So I found some lovely kelly green cotton twill from fabric.com and am going to make up a similar skirt in a better length with less sweep to it. It isn't quite as bright as the linen-cotton, but it is very soft, and yet light enough to be a three-season skirt. I'm looking forward to trying a few new construction techniques. I'm using my trusty McCall's 4275 skirt pattern since I'm pretty happy with the fit and sweep of it, and have made skirts from it before.
I'm also unhappy with the fit, particularly around the lower back and waist--it pulls weirdly across my lower back (probably too tight) and gapes around my waist (too big). So I found some lovely kelly green cotton twill from fabric.com and am going to make up a similar skirt in a better length with less sweep to it. It isn't quite as bright as the linen-cotton, but it is very soft, and yet light enough to be a three-season skirt. I'm looking forward to trying a few new construction techniques. I'm using my trusty McCall's 4275 skirt pattern since I'm pretty happy with the fit and sweep of it, and have made skirts from it before.
4. Bodice slopers/Boxcar dress: I had in mind to make a lagenlook shift-style dress from this lovely deep purple linen-rayon blend I picked up this summer, but I sort of fell out of love with the fabric and the project after cutting it out. I may finish it some day, but for now, it is going back into the bin for a long sleep. I have a dress project in mind for the fabric above ("Boxcar" from Cotton + Steel), but need to fix my bodice slopers first. I've been meaning to find a good raglan sleeve bodice for a while, and I need to rework my Emery bodice for better fit, plus I'd like to fit it for set-in sleeves. I also want to toile the Alma blouse pattern to see if I like it any better than Gertie's Portrait blouse. I might toile a skirt pattern as well, but am trying to keep the pressure off for this sort of thing, as my measurements are still changing. Plus I have a good amount of skirts for the moment.
5. Polka Dot Headscarf: this hardly qualifies as a project, as it is basically just finishing the edges of a square with bias tape, but I've been wanting a bright red polka dot headscarf for a while, and found the perfect fabric from Michael Miller over the summer. It is cut and ready for hemming.
That's it for fall! I have my winter sewing projects plotted out, but will need to complete #4 before cutting anything. I'll probably sew the Melody blouse and green twill skirt in September while the weather is still good enough to wear them without tons of layers, and work on the other stuff in October.
That's it for fall! I have my winter sewing projects plotted out, but will need to complete #4 before cutting anything. I'll probably sew the Melody blouse and green twill skirt in September while the weather is still good enough to wear them without tons of layers, and work on the other stuff in October.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Thanks for taking time to leave a note! I appreciate it so much!!