Dostoevsky wrote that beauty will save the world (The Idiot).
When we went to Austria in the summer of 2012, I rediscovered some parts of myself I thought were lost when we visited Salzburg. I wrote a little about that journey here, but mostly I discovered that I need beauty and goodness in my life in order to have some sense of peace. A lot has happened since then, and I confess that I've forgotten some of those very important lessons. There is much in city living that ugly, dirty, and depressing, and it can be very easy to slip into forgetting to see the forest for the trees. There is also much to like about living in the city--this winter would have been much more difficult for us if we had been living in the suburbs or somewhere more rural. So even though my basic vision of the beauty in creation involves isolated rural landscapes, I'm trying to adjust to the urban reality of my daily life. And that landscape has its own sort of beauty; one must look harder to see it.
I think one of the first things that people notice upon entering an Orthodox church are the externals of it--the physical space is designed to engage all the senses, and the iconography, the incense, the music, the candles, the chanting, etc. are all part of that. It is to remind us of heaven, and the heavenly cloud of witnesses that surround us always, to relive the creation and salvation story through the liturgy, to point our minds and hearts to worship God and to pray for the salvation of our selves and the world.
When we first moved to this part of the country, we were underwhelmed by many of the local churches, particularly the iconography, which was heavily influenced by the Romanticism that overtook Russian iconography in the late 19th century. It seemed so at odds, both liturgically and aesthetically, with the traditional Byzantine style iconography to which we were accustomed. I myself studied iconography with the Prosopon School, and learned the Rublev method, which is fairly contiguous with Byzantine styles. Aesthetics mean a lot to me, and speak to me in visceral ways, so to find so much of the iconography of the churches to be of a distinct Western style, full of sentimentalism, was disappointing. Lately, however, I find myself revising that opinion, as I think those 19th century images have much to teach me about beauty, and about a window on the soul.
| Merciful Savior Church, Nizhni Novgorod, Russia |
| Merciful Savior Church, Interior, Nizhni Novgorod, Russia |
I will pursue beauty. I will look for the beauty beneath the mask of ugliness and sin, I will try to look past the spiritual sickness of the world and see the creation of God. I will remind myself (again) of my purpose in this life. I know I will stumble, I know I will fall, and sometimes, it may take me a while to get back up again, but as I journey to the Cross this Lent, I will remind myself of my need for salvation.A blessed Fast to us all, and forgive me, a sinner.
.jpg)
I understand this need for beauty; I think it is inherent in us all but we do not always see it or value the importance of it. Forgive me, a sinner; God forgives! Blessed Lent...
ReplyDeleteBeautiful post... Thank you!
ReplyDelete~ Country Girl's Daybook, recently: ~plans~ http://bit.ly/1fyTUAG
truly beautiful meditation.
ReplyDelete