I've amassed another list, so time for another Odds and Ends!
I saw this video this morning, and it is so cute. From Bump To Baby, watch it for the original song alone.
Some thoughts about teenage rebellion from a teenager who didn't rebel. I found many things to consider as a parent, even though the teen years still seem far off for us, but I know they will be here before we know it, and we are building the foundation now.
| By Haari and Deepti via |
Thoughts on the post-modern condition. I've been thinking about this theme for a long time now, and wrote two pieces on the topic last summer, but I still find myself circling around it. What does it mean to have a home, feel at home, feel settled, have community? How do we build it, how do we live to continue it? I've been writing another post on the topic in my head for a few weeks now, as I read various things that seem to check various boxes in line with this theme, and I'm hoping to write it up soon.
The death of God in post-modern society and what that means for everyone. Another thoughtful piece from Rod Dreher.
How medium size towns can be just as interesting as cities. I think one thing my husband and I never really seem to settle for ourselves is the question of the best place to be, to effect community, to raise our family. My takeaway from this article is that no place is perfect, and, if you have a choice, you choose the place that has the problems you can live with.
A fascinating video depicting 500 years of female portraiture. It is interesting to see how artists' view of women has changed during that time.
For those of us who write, Virginia Woolf's advice on creating memorable characters.
Tony Woodlief on forgiveness. Another winner. (I might have posted this one with the last set of Odds and Ends, if so, it is worth re-reading!)
Also from Woodlief: The World We Show Them. A sobering reflection on how our failings, struggles, and weaknesses as parents can be communicated to our children. While we cannot achieve perfection in this life, and we can only do the best with what we have at the time, Woodlief reminds us be aware of our shortcomings, continually ask forgiveness of our children, and work to grow and change.
| Via |
Canterbury stained glass windows at the Cloisters. I challenge anyone who sees these to contend that the medieval period was a dark age.
Another wonderful reflection from Jen Fulwiler on how reducing choices can help us cultivate gratitude. In our post modern world, we are presented with a plethora of choices, and usually having too many choices makes us unhappy and makes life more difficult. True simplicity means removing choices.
A Renaissance painting of Jesus in a baby walker. Fascinating (and thanks to Like Mother Like Daughter for pointing me to this great work of art!)
A funny: James Joyce orders a shamrock shake. (thanks to Micah Mattix' Pruffrock newsletter for the link)
As a perfectionist, and a sewer, this article resonated with me so much. I've been considering my goals with sewing lately, and while I would love to do professional grade work, and have a dedicated space for my sewing, that isn't my life right now. My goal is to have wearable clothing that I can complete in a day or two of work. So I'm satisfied with pinked seams, cutting patterns right out of the package, using pins, occasionally skipping muslins, or taking shortcuts with muslins when I do make one, machine stitching waistbands when hand-stitching would be more period appropriate, coming up with workarounds and Avoiding Buttonholes At All Costs.
Why it is important to teach grammar. Hint: it isn't because diagramming sentences is so useful to adult life. It is because grammar is one of those foundational things that we use to measure the worth of an education.
I fell down the rabbit hole again watching Janet Stephens' wonderful YouTube channel (I dare you to watch just one; she recreates ancient Roman and Greek hairstyles based on statuary, using period techniques--they are sort of weirdly soothing, and so interesting). Then I noticed this video on the sidebar, which is raw footage of a Geisha girl putting on her make up. It is spare, a bit long, but utterly absorbing.
| by Maja Wronska Via |
Amazing architectural watercolors. I would hang these in my house!
You always have great links to share. Thanks.
ReplyDelete