Monday, March 17, 2014

A Snowy St. Patrick's Day: What I Wore Monday

A second post in one day--craziness, I tell you.  Insanity!  It is St. Patrick's Day (unless you are going by the church calendar, in which case, let's pretend it is March 30, k?)  I'm part Irish, and love what St. Patrick means to Ireland, and dressing in green is one of my favorite things, so let's do this thing.


Today we woke up to several inches of snow, and the kids' school had a power outage, so they ended up having to come home again mid-morning.  I took these when it was still snowing this morning, so forgive the blurriness.


I remembered after I took them that it was St. Patty's, and substituted my owl brooch for a little leprechaun that I've been saving for a few months.  Oh, and my watch!  I found this watch for a dollar at a flea market last fall and finally got around to getting a battery in it on Saturday.  Works perfectly now!


So, let's talk about the outfit, shall we?  The shirt is a cast-off of my husband's.  I normally dislike stand-up collars, but the shirt is made of very nice fabric and has a nice hand, so I tried it, and I think it is okay.  The reason he was getting rid of it is that it has French cuffs and the cuffs were irredeemably dirty (we tried soaking in Biz for several days, plus three tries at the cleaners, and no go), but the sleeves are too long for my short arms, so I rolled them up and called it good.  The opposite-side button placket is a little strange, but not too bad.


Nothing like taking a series of photos and realizing your sweater vest is flipped up at the hem.  Oh well.  Keeping it real over here.  About the sweater vest.  I saw Rochelle's outfit featuring this vest, and fell in love.  I was bummed when she mentioned it was thrifted, but when I was searching ThredUp two weeks ago for vests, up popped two of them, in my size!  Woot-woot!  I even had a credit on my account so it didn't cost me a thing.  I will say, I think the gray washes me out a little, and perhaps a different colored shirt would brighten the outfit up a bit--white doesn't do me a lot of favors.


I've been wearing these boots for several months, but I don't think I've photographed them before today.  They are vintage Snowland boots from the 1960s, but I think they can pass for 1940s.  I've seen boot adverts from the era that are similar.  The best part is that they are wool lined, and so warm.



The faux topaz earrings I've mentioned before, but just now got around to photographing in detail.  The scarf I've had for almost 15 years; I bought it from an old lady on the side of the road in Nizhni Novgorod when I was first a student in Russia.


On my coat: a WW2 sweetheart pin.  It is Lucite with a little brass airplane on the front.  It is a little bigger and heavier than I expected, so it will really only work on a highly structured garment like a coat, but I like it.   


Detail of the pin.  It is a plastic 1960s number, but fun!  I'll probably wear it other times in the year too.

Outfit Deets:
White men's shirt: Land's End, via my husband
American Eagle Cocker Spaniel vest: ThredUp (it is a size large, just fyi--I just looked and there is still a small and large size available!)
Green skirt: me made (although, getting a little too big in the waist!)
Faux topaz earrings: Target
Leprachaun brooch: Bright Eyes Treasures, Etsy
WW2 sweetheart pin: ebay (it was mislabeled WW1--a reenactor acquaintance found it for me!)
Boots: Snowland, via ebay

2 comments:

  1. I too saw ?Rochelle's post and was equally bummed out when I read that it was not something I could get my hands on. SOOOO jealous. Heading over to check out ThredUp now. Thanks for the tip! xx Shauna

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking time to leave a note! I appreciate it so much!!