Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Talking Tuesday: Clean Week and C.S. Lewis

Troubling news from home yesterday.  I know it is Clean Week, as there is much to bear this week.  Still feeling pretty rough after the weekend--pneumonia confirmed, influenza confirmed, still battling lung congestion and a fairly severe headache, but at least I feel I can rise from my couch today, if only for brief stretches.  I find Lewis a consolation during these times.  I'm not sure I totally understand what he is saying here, but I know it is worth understanding, and will continue to ponder.


“The problem of reconciling human suffering with the existence of a God who loves, is only insoluble so long as we attach a trivial meaning to the word "love", and look on things as if man were the centre of them. Man is not the centre. God does not exist for the sake of man. Man does not exist for his own sake. "Thou hast created all things, and for thy pleasure they are and were created." We were made not primarily that we may love God (though we were made for that too) but that God may love us, that we may become objects in which the divine love may rest "well pleased".”

C.S. Lewis, The Problem of Pain

3 comments:

  1. oh dear; I have been wondering how you are; 'sick and exhausted' I am afraid the answer is. Lord have mercy. I am praying for you and hope you can rest and heal, in the midst of family life, etc...

    that is a beautiful quote from Lewis, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, what a beautiful quote. Blessings!
    ~ Country Girl's Daybook, recently: perfect imperfections challenge! http://bit.ly/1dlqrYF

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sweet dear, from the bottom of my heart, I am truly sorry to hear about the terribly rough issues you've been battling on the health front lately. I hope with all my might that you'll soon be on the mend and that you won't have any lingering issues as result of these problems.

    Sending countless get well wishes your way,
    ♥ Jessica

    *PS* Thank you very much for your splendidly nice comment on today's 1940s outfit post (mustard is one of the few shades of yellow I can wear, so I understand where you're coming from on the yellow front for sure). It means all the more to knowing that you left it while feeling so ill. ♥

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking time to leave a note! I appreciate it so much!!