Time for a knitting update! I didn't quite make the deadline for Knit for Victory last week (drat!), but I have made tremendous progress on the sweater! I've got one more sleeve to knit and then the final construction, but lookie:

I did the collar last night--I picked up stitches around the neck edge on a straight needle, quickly realized I couldn't knit it on the straight, so put it on circular size nines and off I went. I sewed the edges down at the front. The color in the top photo is a little truer to the actual color.


I did the collar last night--I picked up stitches around the neck edge on a straight needle, quickly realized I couldn't knit it on the straight, so put it on circular size nines and off I went. I sewed the edges down at the front. The color in the top photo is a little truer to the actual color.

Fit is decent and I can get it over my ginormous head! Yeah for that! I wanted the V to be pretty high and I brought the shoulders in slightly as I was knitting to account for my narrow shoulders. I'll have to do a finished outfit post when I complete the other side.
I finished Downton Abbey season four last week while I was knitting like a fiend, (no spoilers, promise!), and am seriously having Downton Abbey fashion envy. I ordered this book:
as I own the 1930s, 1940s and 1950s versions and have been having a visual feast since it arrived. I realized that I really love the 1919-1922 fashions, before the flapper look really took over. (Not to mention that dropped waists look really, really bad on me)
Yes, this. I basically want Edith's wardrobe (but not her troubles, ha!) I noticed that Wearing History is coming out with a Great War suit and I think I might have to get that later this spring!! I found some 1920s inspired pieces on ThredUp yesterday, so watch this space for a DA-inspired outfit! I'm working out what to do with my hair.
The truth is that I've hit that point in my nursing that I'm thoroughly sick of everything in my closet. I'm ready to tuck things in, or not be unbuttoning or unsnapping something all the livelong day, tired of surplice necklines and having my weight fluctuate three pounds every day. I'm craving comfort in my wardrobe, especially with all this nasty weather we're having. I've not done a proper wet set in over a week, and I'm just so tired. Ponchik is getting up every 90 minutes on the average, and no one is sleeping during the day, so I just feel run ragged. All my clothing is just a little bit off still--either a little too big (and looks sloppy) or a little snug or just not nursing friendly. While I love the fitted silhouette of the 1940s, I want some looseness to my clothing, and the immediate post-Great War era seems to be just the thing right now.
I also bought Glennon Melton's book Carry On, Warrior last week and have been devouring it as well. I'm highlighting passages constantly! I read Momastery only occasionally, and this book seems to be a best-of from the blog.
Go see Ginny for more wonderful creations!




lovely sweater!!! looks comfy and just plain lovely! hang in there... this is a only a season... it can seem long right now (I know when we kids were young my Mom felt it would be forever) but it will pass. going to light a candle for you! cheering you on my friend!
ReplyDelete