Friday, February 14, 2014

Foodie Friday: Hobo Stew

Foodie Friday today!  I don't think I'm going to get any Quick Takes up today. Things have been kind of crazy around here--last week there was a gas explosion that resulted in a bunch of underground fires very close our house, and lots of chaos has ensued as a result (we were without power for a few tense hours that day as we waited to find out if we would have to evacuate; as it was in the middle of an ice storm and Boo was home sick, I was not thrilled with this prospect).  I've also got pneumonia and the kids are all in various stages of sick, so it has been a tough go.

Anyway, on to the food.  I first saw this recipe on another blog, and thought it sounded great.  As I was making it, I suddenly had a memory of doing this over a camp fire in Girl Scouts as a child.  Mine is adapted to bake in the oven, but I'm sure it would be much better on the grill.  I also think next time I will make these with more of everything, as my husband felt he didn't get enough food, so I'm adjusting the amounts in the recipe below to reflect how I would change it.  You can also change the vegetables to adapt to what you have and to work with food preferences, etc.

My apologies for the less than stellar photos--we were using my husband's ipod since it was to hand.  I tried to make them better with filters, but there wasn't a lot of great material to work with.


Baked Hobo Stew in Foil 
(serves about five)

2 pounds ground hamburger
1 bunch scallions, green ends chopped up
2 pouches teriyaki sauce from Gardein Teriyaki Chick'n strips (or about 4 T. teriyaki sauce)

salt/pepper (Maldon is especially nice)
olive oil
foil

4 baby gold potatoes per person, diced with skin on
2 handsful green beans per person, trimmed
1/2 bell pepper per person, coarsely diced
2 handsful frozen sweet corn per person
1 small zucchini per person, diced
1 carrot per person, chopped into coins

Soy sauce (for garnish after baking)

Preheat oven to 475.  Mix ground beef, scallions and teriyaki sauce packets in a bowl.  Take two strips of foil about 8" wide and make a cross.  In the center of the cross, place 1 cup ground beef mixture and then top with veggies.  Sprinkle with salt, pepper, and a generous drizzle of olive oil.  Wrap up the mixture by wrapping the inner foil like a burrito, and then pinch the ends shut, and then wrap the cross piece to cover completely.  Repeat until you have one packet for each person.  Take a baking sheet and put a wire rack on top of it.  Place packets on the wire rack and bake for 45 minutes.  (You could bake directly on the oven rack, but I like having the baking sheet there in case of drippage).  You can serve the dish directly in the foil wrapper and add soy sauce or Worchestershire sauce for garnish on the veg.

1 comment:

  1. this IS really hard; you sick and the kids; and you still make food; hats off to you my friend; praying for you and sending you love this day... lighting a candle for you too!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking time to leave a note! I appreciate it so much!!