In our current culture, (and I'm super guilty of this) we tend to use the word "love" for almost everything, from the extremely mundane to the supremely sublime. It's not that the English language doesn't have gradations for words to indicate strength of feeling or simple preference, but most of us default to the simple love.
Lest you think I'm here to talk about how we shouldn't use it so much, or that we've devalued the word, or whathaveyou, that isn't my focus at all today. In fact, I'm here to say that we don't say it nearly enough, especially when it really matters. I think it is important to tell people that we love them, and not just on special occasions. Everyone is struggling with something, and usually the people who need love the most are the ones who appear to need it the least. I'm a fairly private person, and it is difficult for me to express myself emotionally, and I think sometimes that comes off as aloofness, or coldness. The opposite is actually true--I feel so deeply, so strongly, that I can't articulate it adequately, and I'm afraid of being rejected. But I know that when love is expressed to me, it lifts me up, pulls me out of myself, helps me to see others and love them too. Sometimes hearing a simple "love you" or "sending love" or even reading a closing on an e-mail that is signed, "love" from a friend can make a huge difference to my day. It can be the difference between hope and despair. I'll be the first to admit that it is hard to do sometimes. What will the other person think? I feel uncomfortable sharing my feelings! Push past the discomfort and do it anyway. You just might save a life. And perhaps that life might be your own.
Yes...I understand... I know often that one comment on my blog would make all the difference to me; knowing our friends, esp. those in Christ, remember us, is a huge encouragement and help.
ReplyDeletereally love this post….love you too!!
ReplyDelete