Hot off my sewing machine: another closet staple. I bought this fabric at Hobby Lobby when I was visiting my parents last week--it was a total impulse buy, as I'd gone in to look at buttons, but you know, you have to go through the fabric section to get to the buttons, so.... What can I say? Michael Miller knows what he's on about. I nearly bought the coordinating fabric because I loved Roisin's dress with it, but I'm really trying to avoid novelty prints right now, because I know that I don't wear them as much. So I bought this spotty fabric in the same colors instead.
I cut it on Thursday while a friend was visiting for the day, sewed it on Friday while the girls were playing, and wore it to church this morning! I did make a soft sash to wear with it, but decided I wanted a little more tailored look today.
I don't even know what to call this dress, because it is so basic. It was hard to photograph because at a distance it reads kind of purple (I didn't realize this until I was taking the pictures), but it is actually a lovely bright navy with vivid orange polka dots. I want to try it with a bright orange belt just for contrast. In the meantime, this narrow navy leather belt worked great.
I think a brown leather belt will also look nice. I also like that this dress can be transitional with a contrast cardigan--I think my kelly green cardigan would actually look splendid. I sort of wish I still had my orange cardigan from Land's End canvas. I guess I'll just have to keep my eyes open for something orange in the thrift stores.
One of the things that is fun about making your own clothing is the ability to add interesting little finishing details.
I used an orange side zip, just because I could, and also used bright orange bias tape to finish the edges. It just peeks out the edges and is a fun touch.
I do like the fit of this dress, although I think I need to start taking out the extra ease I've built into the back bodice on future iterations. (Although, I do like the ease of movement, so perhaps I'm overthinking it)
I don't want something super fitted, but I also don't want it looking too big. It is a fine line (I may have crossed it yesterday when working with some seersucker...the jury is still out on that one) I cut it pretty much the same as the Mesa and Back to Basics Chambray dresses; I just made the square neckline a bit wider, which I think helps with some of the fit issues I'm having at the upper part of the bodice.
I top stitched the pockets again and I really like this detail--I plan to do it on all my yoked pockets now, as it really helps them to lie flat and I like the extra detail.
What happens when you can't decide where to put your hands while the timer is flashing:
Outfit details:
Polka Dot Madness dress: Michael Miller fabric (from Hobby Lobby), bias tape and zipper from stash, basic frankenpattern
Leather belt: target (ages ago)
Dansko lace up sandals: via ebay
Earrings: gift
Orange polka dot headscarf: etsy (I think--I've had it a while)
Linking with FLAP, like we do.

it's super cute; I love how it flows, that is the first thing I thought when I saw it in person! very lovely. :) yay!!!
ReplyDeleteI like the fun details too :) what great fabric!!
ReplyDelete