Doing Five Favorites today! Linking with Heather, who you simply must read. Just make sure you aren't drinking anything at the time, because I guarantee you will spit it out laughing. Most recently, she nailed it on children's clothing (warning: language). Preach it, sista.
--1--
Talkin' 'bout food today. After several bloggers extoled the virtues of good old fashioned Southern tomato sandwich, I had to try one. And, wow. Delish. I made my open-faced with heirlooms and used ciabatta because that's what I had. Sprinkle of maldon and pepper, yum.
--2--
I made a vegan flag cake for the 4th of July tomorrow. I didn't want to mess with baking when all the kids are home tomorrow, so I made it today, and put it in the fridge. I'm hoping the strawberries don't run too much. I used a Duncan Hines yellow cake mix, subbed Energ-G for the eggs, and made royal icing with shortening. I'm sure Piglet will inform me that the flag doesn't have the requisite 13 stripes, but whatever. Details, details.
--3--
Chocolate Teddy Grahams. I re-discovered these a week or so ago, and they are my secret-snack stash item. I like that I can have a portion (130 cals) and feel like I'm getting a treat.
--4--
My husband's birthday was yesterday, and he wanted to go out to Vedge, which is a kind of chi-chi upscale vegan restaurant downtown. It certainly wouldn't have been my first choice, but the food was really good. All vegan, without a lot of meat substitutes. Mostly small plates. I had the shaved Brussels sprouts with creamy dijon, the fingerling potatoes with creamy Worcestershire, and braciole, which was some kind of roasted eggplant thing that tasted like bacon and looked like sausage (if you look at the gallery on their webpage, it is the dish right before the picture of the baguette). And some kind of mint chocolate "ice cream" and strawberry balsamic sorbet for dessert. Very delicious! It was all super adventurous and right up my husband's alley: interesting flavors/food combinations, tapas style dining, open air kitchen, and funky location with period detailing. Plus it was fun to watch the waiters flying by our table with plates of food for other tables.
--5--
![]() |
| I got 2 yards of this one to make another blouse in the fall; I have some buttery soft fine line twill in teal that I'm going to make into a skirt that will match the darker blue flowers. |
Art Gallery Fabric. This is my newest non-quilting cotton fabric find, and I love it! It is a bit cheaper than Japanese cotton, comes in fun prints, and has an ultra-smooth hand. The Pure Elements line has a lot of lovely solids to choose from as well, which I'm excited about, because I'm planning one or two solid-color tops in the fall. I bought three different selections from Moona Fabrics, and I can't recommend Sue enough. She was a pleasure to work with.
Go see Heather for more Favorites!!

Just this past Monday evening, as a group of my relatives and I were gathered around the supper table for a festive Canada Day long weekend BBQ, the topic of what we'd each choose for our last meal came up. One person said fresh garden tomatoes with bread or mayo and butter, much like the open faced sandwich here and another said it would be their second choice. It really is an awesome, classic food and I can totally see why they'd pick that for their last meal. Who wouldn't want to taste a bite of the garden, a product of the very soil of the earth itself, if they could, before they departed this world?
ReplyDeleteWishing you a marvelous, fun filled 4th of July!
♥ Jessica