Thursday, July 10, 2014

If it ain't broke...

Surprise! Another Portrait blouse.  In red gingham.  *yawn* 
Sorrynotsorry. 

What can I say?  I sewed this up on Monday morning, and I can make a Portrait blouse from cut to final press in an hour.  Which pretty much makes it the perfect summer project because I can crank one out after breakfast while the temperature in my kitchen is still a mere 83 degrees.  Blech.
 

Why another red gingham blouse, you ask?  I'm glad you did.  The original one was made with a scant one yard piece from my grandma's stash, and while I really liked the slightly orange-y red of the gingham, I really made the top as a test garment since it was my first traced off pattern;  the blouse ended up with some issues that I've since fixed with the pattern.  I really liked the gingham, though, and have been wearing it a lot, even though it didn't really look right. 


The first iteration had a too-narrow neckline, so it was a bit tight to get on and off over my head.  I hadn't quite gotten the facing right either, so it wants to flip up despite top stitching. I also had to fabric piece the bottom section and didn't think to match the stripes at all, so it looked a little odd, even when tucked in.  I also zig-zagged the sleeve edges for a decorative top stitch and didn't really like how that looked (I wouldn't have remade the blouse simply over that, but it was one of those things that made me not like it as much).  I also prefer this blouse to be 1" longer, so I fixed all those things on this version.


This version came out perfectly.  The topstitching around the neckline is pretty good, the color is a bit more cranberry, which I think suits my coloring better, and I discovered a better way to finish kimono sleeves that made putting this blouse together a snap.  It is light and breezy like the first one, and the fabric was under $4/yard at fabric.com, so bonus for an inexpensive summer blouse!  I kind of want to make a green and blue version now. 
I'm really into making faux dresses this summer, and the idea of a gingham faux dress is pretty appealing, but I think I'll put that off to next summer, as I really do have enough clothing for this season now (barring disaster), and it really is too hot to do serious sewing.  I took these pictures yesterday midday when it was just disgustingly hot.  I know my skirt is too long, but I sort of don't care.  It is linen, fits well without being binding, and I kind of like the longer length for these torpid days.

Outfit details:
Gingham blouse: Portrait blouse pattern by Gertie, me-made July 2014
Light blue linen skirt: Cherokee via ebay
Blue canvas shoes: Crocs via ebay
John Horse brooch: Acorn and Will (mother's day giftie from the husband)
Vintage 1980s sunglasses: via ebay

4 comments:

  1. yay! how fun! :)))))) great colour on you too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the skirt, the length actually does look okay on you. I wear skirts all the time (for religious reasons) and I enjoy seeing some of the skirts you wear and have made.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I pretty much wear skirts all the time, but occasionally I'll pull out some 1940s style trousers or some clam diggers, but it is fairly rare. I used to never ever wear them (sort of for religious reasons), but have made a bit of space in my wardrobe for them again this past year.

      Delete
  3. Actually I love the skirt! And I'm sure the feeling of satisfaction of making the blouse JUST RIGHT this time was awesome. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking time to leave a note! I appreciate it so much!!