Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Lessons From Me-Made May (in July)

Oops, wait, did I not say I was doing that?  (For those who don't know, Me Made May (MMM) is a little challenge to wear something you made every day during the month of May.  No panic sewing allowed!) Actually, I didn't make an official announcement about doing Me-Made May because I knew I'd never get all the photos taken, but I did participate, honest!  I flaked out on the Sunday after Mother's Day because my shoulder hurt so bad and I just wanted to wear something knit and loose, but otherwise, I wore at least one garment I made myself every day of May.  I actually didn't find it too hard--all my sewing this spring has pretty well filled my transition wardrobe gaps, and I'm pretty happy with everything I've made so far.  Nevertheless, wearing me-made garments every day is also a useful way to see what sorts of things I reach for again and again, and to be honest with myself about which garments I sort of ignore and shove to the back of the closet for one reason or another.



I read Sarai's MMM round up post, and thought I should do one too, because I'm still learning things about my body, and how to dress it and feel good in my clothes, and since it seems like at least some of my readers find these posts helpful, I'll give my own round up.  My main takeaway from Me Made May is that I'm never going to have a 100% self-sewn wardrobe.  I have several RTW garments that I love, and there are certain garments I have no interest in learning how to sew (undergarments, foundation garments, etc), and right now, I have a low frustration threshold with sewing, so my patterns have to be easy and basic, which is naturally limiting.

1. I like dresses but tend to reach for separates.


3. My ideal skirt length is 26"; 27 is heading into frumpsville territory, and 25 is just a wee bit too short for my comfort level.

4. My ideal shirt length is 1" longer than Gertie's Portrait blouse pattern (I've since added an inch to the pattern the last few times I've made it and like it much better)  I also don't care for collared shirts or blouses, generally speaking.

5. High necklines don't do me any favors.  I need my collarbones to show at least a little or my face and neck end up looking cut off and wide.

6.  Similarly, blousy tops make me look heavier than I am because I am so pear shaped.  Peasant blouses just don't look as good as a fitted top on my figure.

7.  Gathered skirts, while super easy to construct, are not my friend.  Box pleats, darts or small gathers at the dart area, on the other hand, are quite flattering.

8.  I've given up on trying to make the Simplicity 1590 work for me.  I don't really like the way it fits, and every time I make it, something else goes wrong, so I'm sticking to novelty print Portrait blouses for now.  And since my redraft to make a button-down version is working fine, I'm happy with that.  Similarly, I'm really only working with a handful of patterns, and that is fine with me at this stage of my sewing. (I guess that makes me a printy-utilitarianist).

9.  I don't have a skirt pattern that works well for me without a lot of fiddling every time.  The New England skirt works okay, and I'm mostly happy with the fit, but the pattern still could stand some fiddling with the back piece.  I'd really like to find a skirt pattern that I can make easily, that fits right every time, and I don't have to spend endless time fiddling with in the beginning.  I have that in the Portrait blouse pattern, but need a skirt version. I'm going to give the Miette a try in the fall, and possibly the Hollyburn (my birthday is coming up, so who knows what lovelies will come my way?) and see if they fit me better.

10.  I need to find a dress pattern that I really love.  I have a couple of 1940s original patterns that are good candidates to be my go-to dress pattern, but I'm curious to try the Emery, given Tasha's success with it.

3 comments:

  1. I really wish I had room to set out a sewing machine and leave it because I really enjoy sewing and would make more clothes if it weren't so inconvenient. (I usually set out a tiny folding table by my side of the bed, sit on the bed, and sew like that.) Of course, once I have a sewing machine convenient, I tend to make quilts - not so good for wearing. Ah well! I think you do a great job and love watching all of your efforts. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I have to sew in my kitchen, and set up the sewing machine and iron and ironing board every time I want to sew, so it isn't too dissimilar. I tried sewing upstairs in the office, but the desk was just too cramped and it was frustrating to work in such a small cramped space.

      Delete

Thanks for taking time to leave a note! I appreciate it so much!!