Friday, June 27, 2014

Hollywood 1805: Maybe Wearable?


I got almost nothing done today, because it was the Epic Battle of Three Year Old Toddlers Day, but during the naptime-that-wasn't-really-naptime, I did try to fix my Hollywood 1805 to make it more wearable for me.  I had taken the elastic casing out to see if releasing some of the tension at the neck would make the armscyes more comfortable, which it did, but that left me with a lot of extra fabric between the sleeve lines on the front and back.  Enough to fold over twice on both sides.


I puzzled it over a bit, and then just started pinning.  And unpinning.  And pinning again.  And again.  Until I had something that looked okay and more or less kept the sleeves on my shoulders.  I spent about 20 minutes with a needle and thread stitching it all down.  And then spent another 20 minutes restitching the back neckline because it was billowing out an extra 2" and making the shoulders sag down.  I think I've pleated out all the excess and have a stable neckline all the way around now.


Well.  It is still a bit blousy on top, but better than before, and the lower neckline is a bit more flattering on me, I think.  I swapped out the fabric sash for a wide elastic belt, which I think provides better contrast and cinching, but is still comfortable in the heat.  I added two decorative buttons in the front just for fun.  It looks better, and it is much more comfortable, but I just can't decide about the fabric.  Every time I look at the photos, I think something different.  Probably I just need to wear the thing for a day and decide how I feel in it.

Although, I think maybe it is growing on me, now that the neckline is stable and I don't feel like I'm wearing a 19th century chemise instead of a dress.  I did lose nursing friendliness in the effort to salvage the dress, but I almost never have to nurse in public any more, and Ponchik is mostly down to 2 times a day anway, just before nap and bedtime.  I think I can work around it.  It is supposed to be stupid hot on Monday, so maybe I'll give it a test drive then.

Part of me thinks that the fabric reads a little too tan for my skin, but it looks a little different in every photo, so I don't know.  I think maybe I'm being too picky.  If it were a vintage dress, I wouldn't be quibbling about it so much, I'd just wear it already!  


The trouble with sewing is that you have so much control over every detail, and then it becomes easy to obsess about every detail.


So I'm going to wear it, enjoy being cool in the crazy heat, and not worry too much about the rest.  At least it is going into my closet and not my scrap pile.  Win.

2 comments:

  1. I think the dress looks great on you and I absolutely love the pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Total win!!! I think this dress is sweet, fun and very, very pretty! That fabric is so lovely and summery. I'm glad you opted to keep this in your closet not the scrap pile in the end. It looks absolutely wonderful on you!

    Big hugs & many thanks for your thoughtful comment on yesterday's post,
    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking time to leave a note! I appreciate it so much!!