Wednesday, June 11, 2014

A happy outfit


Note: I set this to publish last Friday, but somehow it didn't actually get published in the chaos that was my day last Friday, so this is a bit late.  Happy Wednesday!

I know it is Friday, and I should be writing Quick Takes, but my time is limited today, so you get an outfit post.  I think anyone who has read this blog for any length of time knows that I get a lot of clothing/style inspiration from other vintage bloggers, particularly those who sew, and I'd say Rochelle at Lucky Lucille and Tasha at By Gum By Golly top the list.  Lately, they've both been exploring the theme of personal style in sewing: really narrowing in on what makes us feel good every day, what sorts of garments we reach for over and over, and trying to sew them.  Yesterday, Rochelle posted a wonderful piece about her latest epiphany in that process, and I continue to evaluate my closet and sewing projects to ensure that my sewing time is well spent on clothing that I wear again and again, that fits well, and suits my style.  I've had some hiccups this spring, as I experimented with some different garments and styles, but I think I'm starting to get there.  (And yes, I'm aware that I spent an inordinate amount of time thinking and writing about clothing, but I think I'm not alone in this; let's face it: clothes are the first statement we make about ourselves to the world, we have to deal with them every day, and having a well-defined style is the easiest way to prevent tears when getting dressed in the morning).  Personally, one of my clothing goals (I have several) is to get dressed and immediately forget about what I have on.


Which brings me to today's outfit.  I sewed nothing on it, but it makes me happy and feels like "me".  I think I need to stop kidding myself that I really wear dresses all the time, and that this season of my life (nursing a baby, running around after potty training toddlers) is all about the separates.   I realized the other day that my favorite style of dress is not nursing-friendly, and I'm sort of tired of trying to make nursing friendly dresses that feel good to me (because as a rule, they don't).


I dislike nursing-friendly clothing full stop, but as Ponchik is nowhere near ready to wean, I still need easy access throughout the day.  I realize this particular outfit is only marginally nursing friendly, but I can make it work for a baby who is only nursing 2-3x a day.  Also: a young gal stopped me in the street today to say that I looked "really pretty".  Win.

Outfit Details:

Blue elbow sleeve t-shirt: Lands End via ThredUp
Skirt: 1960s vintage via The Paraders
Belt: Beltparadise
Yellow bird brooch: Acorn and Will
Earrings: Target
Hair flower: hairflowers.net (I think!)
Slip (not pictured): a slip shop


1 comment:

  1. that is a really cute outfit! I think we do have to just be realistic with where we are and what season we are in. For me that means accepting delays and boxes. thinking of you!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking time to leave a note! I appreciate it so much!!