| 1940s cherry pickers |
Time for another Odds and Ends!
20 interesting ways to reuse old things. The bathtub couch is kind of intriguing. Slightly weird, but intriguing.
| Via |
I've been watching the Starz production of The White Queen lately, which is set during the War of the Roses, shortly before the Tudors took the throne of England for good, and I found this article on England's Game of Thrones fascinating.
Gracy Olmstead considers the pros and cons of suburban life. I've really enjoyed everything I've read by Olmstead, as I find it to be quite thought-provoking, and often in a direction I'm already thinking about. I think we've pretty much made our peace with staying in the city, but this article gives reasons why it is okay to like the 'burbs.
I'm not going to post the photo here, as I'm not looking for search engine bait, but I think by now many of us have seen the viral photo of a very fit mom of three under three, with the title "What's Your Excuse?" This photo bothered me on a number of different levels, although I couldn't exactly articulate why. Mat. Anna pretty much says it.
The Nife En L'Air writes about how seeking perfection in everything around us can interfere with contentment. As a person who struggles with perfectionism, this post resonated with me.
| Unbelievable underwater landscapes Via |
The Nife En L'Air writes about how seeking perfection in everything around us can interfere with contentment. As a person who struggles with perfectionism, this post resonated with me.
My friend Beth posted a Parent's Prayer. Yes, yes, yes.
Hollie Klaassen tackles the tough world of high-needs babies and young children. This post brought me back, helped me better articulate to myself my children and my mothering experience, made me cry a little, but also made me realize that I'm not alone.
My friend Michelle responded to the Ms. Klaassen's post with a series of her own, discussing the isolation of parenting high needs children, but also the joy.
The heart of the Russian home is usually in the kitchen. NPR discusses how dissent and counterculture flourished there under the Soviets. I love the kitchen culture of Russia, and miss it very much.
| Wonderful Photography of Peter Essick |
The heart of the Russian home is usually in the kitchen. NPR discusses how dissent and counterculture flourished there under the Soviets. I love the kitchen culture of Russia, and miss it very much.
Kristen at Rage Against the Minivan sends up lifestyle blogging. And those perfect Pinterest houses. With aplomb.
This is just funny: A Manifesto Against Luxury Kitchens. Snark, snark, snark. Can I just note that in my experience, these fancy, expensive showroom kitchens tend to be showpieces, vastly underutilized, while the kitchens that people actually cook in tend to be inefficiently laid out, small, and cramped. But they have the essentials: a stove, a fridge, a sink, and a place to chop things. One hopes.
10 Ways to Stay Sane on the Internet. I think it is fair to say that we aren't going back to a non-Internet type existence any time soon. This post lists good ways to set boundaries, keep it real, and at arm's length.
Let's all try to be courteous with our phones. Pretty please?
In a related article, Rod Dreher discusses the role of the Screen in our culture and lives. His conclusion is a little ambiguous, but I think that is the point. Many of us have an uneasy relationship with the Screen, but it does enable a great number of things that make our lives easier, but that comes with a cost too.
If you are a Lord of the Rings fan, you must check out this Tumblr, which has the Russian illustrations from someone's childhood edition. Stunning.
| Via |
And we can't do this thang without talking a little shop, so bear with me. Jennifer Lauren shared an excellent post as part of Me Made May (more about that later) on building a wardrobe of handmade clothing that we actually wear.
Anastasia Basil blasts Minnie Driver and our whole culture that fetishizes women's looks above all else. (warning: strong language)
I ran across this post on how to understand body type and proportion shortly after reading Basil's piece, and it confirmed to me that understanding the quirks of your own body, and just being honest and open with yourself about what is under your clothes is the best way to flatter your body and feel good in clothing. If you don't understand your body's quirks, you are always going to be frustrated with clothing.
Sarai discusses why shopping can be such a dissatisfying experience (and I would add that her observations apply to more than just clothing, but rather our whole consumerist mindset) and offers a way to channel desire into creativity.
And if you've made it this far, you might as well check out Gracy Olmstead's piece on developing a longer attention span for reading. (Hint: it isn't by reading War and Peace)
Just wanted to let you know that I enjoy reading your blog so much. I think if I read your blog long enough, I'll eventually get brave enough to start sewing some of my own clothes. Thanks again for all the time you put in to share what you are doing and thinking about in a blog.
ReplyDeleteAw shucks. *kicks dirt* It really makes my day to get comments like this! Thanks for taking the time to comment, and for stopping by!!
DeleteI just discovered your blog recently, and I'm so happy to find another Orthodox mom blogger out there who loves sewing, too! :D I'm not alone! hehehe :)
ReplyDelete