--1--
This week I got to see not one, but TWO movies in the theater. Let's pause for a moment of silence in awe at that fact. The first was the ever brilliant Daniel Craig as James Bond in Skyfall. My husband and I took advantage of the fact that my mother-in-law was here for the weekend and went to a mid-afternoon matinee on Sunday. Brilliant, people. This film is just brilliant. One reviewer said it was a great homage to the past, present, and future Bond, and I quite agree. I wrote an academic paper on the influence of the early Bond films on popular culture while I was doing my master's degree, and I confess, I have a soft spot in my heart for old James. Skyfall has some sly references to Dr. No, Thunderball, and You Only Live Twice, plus it is a brilliant reboot of so many of the things that made the early Bond films great. (We are planning another date in December to see The Hobbit...so many good films this season, so little time...)
--2--
The other movie I saw this morning was the final installment of the Twilight Saga, namely, Breaking Dawn, Part 2. The last movie I saw in the theater was BD:Part 1, a year ago or so, when I had to take a fussy Birdie and nurse her through The.Whole. Darn. Thing. This time, I got to go by myself and enjoyed it thoroughly. The movie had a sense of humor about itself, and about the series, which I appreciated as a fan, but it also did justice to the second half of the book, which I also appreciated. I'm a little sad that the whole thing is over now, but I'm looking forward to the DVD edition so I can round out my little collection!!
--3--
Remember how I said last week that if you didn't hear from me, we'd all have succumbed to something nasty? Sucumb we did, but at least most of us are upright by now. Birdie's vomiting grew much worse on Sunday while we were at the movie and we spent an anxious evening wondering if we needed to take her to the ER for IV fluids. She finally started keeping sugar water down around 9:30, and then kept down pedialyte overnight. It was a bad night, but we stayed out of the hospital, so I guess that is something. The lower GI stuff predictably followed about a day later.
--4--
The boys didn't get the vomiting stuff, but they have had the lower GI issues (on top of the normal lower GI issues that plague us around here), so it's been fun times this week. Things seem to be getting better by the day, though. Oh, and just to keep things interesting, Birdie decided to cut another four teeth this week. Fabulous.
--5--
As for me, I started feeling sick on Monday afternoon, went to my monthly stamp meeting in W. Philly and started feeling VERY sick on the way home. I almost didn't get home on my own steam--I did take a cab, which helped, but I could barely get in the door once home. I completely collapsed and spent all day Tuesday on the couch--not a good combination with two little people underfoot. It's some kind of upper and lower respiratory thing combined with the worst headache evah, and I only just started to feel I'd turned a corner yesterday. I stamped a ton of cards in the afternoon and felt so productive! But by last night, though, I crashed again and felt a little worse. This morning was better, and sitting in a dark movie theater was the right thing. I've mostly spent the week rewatching MI:5 episodes (hello, Richard Armitage!) and wanting to teletransport my mother here from Missouri for the week.
--6--
One thing I realized through this bug is that the best thing to do when you feel good in the morning and lousy as the day goes on is to make dinner before breakfast. I've done that most of the days this week and it has helped my day go so much more smoothly. Mostly we are having soups and stews right now, given the weather, so that helps. Last night was slow cooker Provencal Beef Stew and it was delicious as always. I was glad my appetite was back to enjoy it.
--7--
And my card for today! I actually made this about a month ago, when I was visiting my parents for the week. We sat down one afternoon during naptime and had some quality stamp time. There were a few things I would have added (linen thread for one) if I had made this at home with my own supplies to hand, but mostly I like how it turned out! A nice fall card.
Go see Jen and Co. for more Quick Takes!







Making dinner that cooks all day also makes the afternoon less stressful! Doing that today. I'm sorry you guys have had the crud!
ReplyDeleteWe saw James Bond last weekend too and did enjoy it very much. I like Daniel Craig as 007.