Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Birthday card for the Highest court in the land

My husband, when he was just a young pup lawyer, clerked for Justice Kennedy at the Supreme Court and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. Last summer we had the chance to go to one of the clerk reunions at which the Justice and his family were present and then to a casual BBQ at his house in Maclean. It was lovely and I admit I was a bit awestruck by the celebrity of Justice Kennedy, who is indeed a humble and lovely man (see photos: first is of 3 of the 4 clerks with wives in my husband's year--we are the middle; second is at the BBQ with the Justice and my son and husband). Justice Kennedy is quite famous, though, and I felt intimidated by the august company.

So when my husband casually said last week, as he was on his way out the door for a weekend conference in DC, "Oh, can you make a birthday card for Justice Kennedy? I need it by Tuesday," I will say I was a bit flustered. Make a card for the man himself? What do I do? Something classy, something understated, but what? Yikes!!

I immediately thought of this card again, and decided to properly CASE it this time, since I had Baja Breeze. I made a few changes and used Great Friend instead of All Holidays (since I don't have it!) but I think it turned out well!


Paper: Baja Breeze, Whisper White, Parisian Breeze DSP, Whisper White
Ink: Chocolate Chip, Baja Breeze
Stamps: Pocket Silhouettes, Great Friend, Together Forever (on the back for a watermark--used the flower stamp)
Accessories: 1/4" chocolate chip grosgrain ribbon

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking time to leave a note! I appreciate it so much!!