School started today. I think we can all say a collective AMEN.
And no, I do not have two sets of twins.
~reading~
A friend recommended this series to me, and the book does not disappoint! It is full of clever literary references and I am quite enjoying the tone. Think Monty Python meets Inspector Lewis. Delicious.
I bought this book on Eneagrams on the recommendation of another writer and I'm eager to read it. I'm kind of a sucker for this sort of thing anyway, but I think it will help with character development in my writing as well.
~knitting~
All the Fall Things, namely scarves. I'm mostly working on the Hitchhiker, because it is a good weight for fall, and goes with my palette nicely.
But I'm also working on the Boneyard Scarf as well. It is very easy and mostly mindless. I'm using DK weight Swish in garnet heather. It will work well with my winter rotation. (Is it just me or is there no discernable difference between DK and Worsted weight Swish? I have both in the same colorway and they seem exactly the same to me).
~watching~
I watched a bunch of movies in August, because, things, and at least one deserves its own post (Zoe) but this is the list for now:
On Chesil Beach: Very Ian McEwan. I liked it, but it isn't for everyone.
In Time: funky dystopian sci-fi film in which time has become currency. I liked it a lot.
Our Kind of Traitor: another LeCarre adaptation with Ewan McGregor and Damian Lewis. It was a bit hard to get into (the beginning is a bit gritty), but I enjoyed it in the end. Stellan Skaarsgaard was a treat. I also find myself playing a little game lately of "Find John LeCarre in his own film."
Zoe: a fascinating look at the future of AI. Somewhat disconcerting, but tons of food for thought.
A Sense of an Ending: indie film with Jim Broadbent. I'm not sure what I think of this one. It was a strange story and the trailer set me up for a very different sort of film. I liked the interplay between Broadbent and Harriet Walters.
About Time: this was fantastically fun. Bill Nighy was delightful, as was Domnall Gleeson. It is from the same creative team as Notting Hill and Four Weddings and a Funeral, and it is a brilliant movie. It is really about a father and a son, and the story is so lovely. I wish this film had been better publicized--it is that good.
Salmon Fishing in the Yemen: another film that I was surprised by. I enjoyed it very much and found it quite delightful.
~sewing~
Nothing at the moment, but I have the two Everyday skirts on the queue:
As well as the two knit dresses for my fall rotation:
Just as soon as I catch my breath!
August was pretty intense (more on that later) and I'm still recovering.
My husband has a crazy busy week with an intense three-day sitting, I had stuff to do at school this morning, plus my annual skin check with dermatology this afternoon; I still have to pick up some uniform pieces from the logo place, and I'm getting back on schedule with my writing partner tomorrow.
Linking with Ginny for Yarn Along!



glad to read this. continued love.
ReplyDeleteBusy, busy. Thank you for the film reviews. My two boys were mistaken for twins until the younger grew so much taller than the elder, much to the annoyance of his brother! Lovley autumnal colours in your yarny projects.
ReplyDeleteBoo is definitely going to lap his brother--we've done the height predictor things and he is supposed to come out 2-4 inches taller. His older brother is pretty annoyed already!
DeleteI love the look of your shawl. I too have a few sewing projects in the pipeline this autumn, so I hope we both find the time. The Eyre Affair is great fun, isn't it? I've not watched On Chesil Beach, but I have read the book (and enjoyed it). I've also watched and read Salmon Fishing in the Yemen - no spoilers, but the two endings are quite different! x
ReplyDeleteOh interesting! Now I might have to read the book too! I should probably read the McEwan book too. I really liked Atonement (book and movie; book was better), but haven't gotten into his other books too much.
DeleteLovely scarves very autumn toned, I loved the Eyre Affair as well as the other books in the series.
ReplyDelete