Monday, September 3, 2018

Project 333: Summer 2018 Wrap

I was away for the long Labor Day weekend, so I didn't switch my clothes until we returned today.  Just as well, as the heat and humidity are still high-high-high, and very summery feeling.  That said, I'm ready for fall.  But before I natter on about my fall rotation, best to wrap up my summer.  


My daily uniform this summer mostly consisted of a tank (below) paired with one of the five cardigans (above) with an Everyday skirt, or a 3/4 sleeve boatneck shirt paired with an Everyday Skirt.


The tanks are from Target, the Universal Thread line (so good!) and the cardigans are a hodge podge of thrifted goodness.  Ditto the shirts.  The navy and pink striped shirt was a bit of a miss.  I like it in theory, and I did wear it quite a bit with my denim pencil skirt, but I'm on the fence about keeping it.  The other three shirts (burgundy, yellow stripe and blue stripe) all got heavy wear.


Not spectacular photos, but here is one iteration with my red skirt:


Here's another (with the blue indikon Everyday skirt):


I wore a lot of yellow this summer.

My dresses did not get as much play this summer.


I did wear the chambray Motherdress (far right) a fair bit (it was particularly great for traveling). I wore the blue linen dress a handful of times (mostly to church). 


 The Liberty #1 and #2 dresses were worn once or twice late in the summer.  (I also wore Liberty #2 a couple of times in the spring with a long sweater).  I pulled them out of storage sometime in late July or early August when I wanted some variety in my closet.  

I decided it was time to retire Liberty #1 after I made more repairs to the fabric under one of the arms.  I still like the dress a lot, and want to keep it, but I don't want to have it on regular rotation any longer.  Liberty #2, I don't know what to do about it.  I like it, and I think it looks okay on me, but I'm sort of out of love with this style right now.  I'll probably just keep it in reserve for when I want something loose and pretty.  I always have some days in August when I can't stand to wear anything I've worn the rest of the summer.  It was perfect for those days.


The York double gauze dress (far left) ended up being a special occasion/church dress this summer, and I like it very well for that.  It was lovely to wear to the wedding in June.  I might even wear it for Pascha next year.  


The navy Birch dress (second from left) was a similar special occasion dress.  The striped knit dress was fine.  I wore it a handful of times, with a cardigan, and I like the fit and feel of it, but...I don't know.  I didn't love the way the fabric wore (it was a $20 amazon find) or the fact that the stripes were not matched on the side seams at.all.  I'm not sure it was especially flattering on me.  The Kermes dress (far right) was a nice church dress as well.


My Everyday skirts got tons of wear.  I decided that the chambray skirt will need to be replaced next summer with something similar but in a different type of chambray.  Perhaps another Brussels linen chambray, or even the Rustica I used for the Motherdress, because this chambray just doesn't hang well for a skirt.  My other skirts were fabulous, however, and I'm really happy with them.  


I started out the summer with two white linen blouses, but the other one had a higher neckline that wasn't as flattering on me, and the sleeves drove me crazy, so I'm just keeping this one, which I've had for several summers now:  


It is lovely and light and pretty.  The Gzhel skirt (middle) is another special occasion skirt, and I'm on the fence about my Gemini linen top (far right).  I only wore it once, but perhaps next summer it will feel better to me.  I put so much work into it, I'm leaving it in the rotation for next year.

Overall, my summer rotation was very lean, but I was actually pretty happy with it once I settled into a daily uniform of separates.  I liked my color palette, the accessories that went with everything, and felt good in almost all my clothing this summer.   That almost never happens, so I'll take it!  My weight has been all over the place this summer, and my food life has taken some rather interesting twists and turns (more on that later), but I still felt relatively good in my clothing.

My big takeaway from this rotation is that it is okay to have a few dresses set aside for church and feast days (of which there are quite a few in the summer), and that I don't need too much for my daily wear when the weather is fairly stable.

This post is probably long enough, so I'll be back tomorrow with my fall rotation.

1 comment:

Thanks for taking time to leave a note! I appreciate it so much!!