I feel almost silly showing you another chambray Everyday Skirt. Almost. But not silly enough not to do it. So: Chambray #2. The first one, as I've written a couple of times, had some problems. It was my first attempt at the pattern, and I think I've now worked out the kinks.
The first version was a size too big, and shorter than my comfort level. I've found that an extra inch on the bottom makes me much happier and more comfortable. I've noticed that if a skirt feels too short (even an inch or less), I just don't wear it. So in the interest of wearability, and being happy with what is in my closet, I decided it was worth remaking this one.
I cut a straight size medium and used 12" elastics, although I could probably cinch them in a bit. I'll wait until it's been washed once since the Petersham interfacing snugs up a bit with washing. No other construction details, since it is pretty much just like the first. Oh. I did use pleats in the front instead of gathers because I think it looks better and is easier to work with.
Now. On to the sweater. I've been working on a replacement for my beloved and ratty Ramona cardigan since last February or March. I made quite a lot of progress on it to start with, and then it sat for a few months. I finished all but the button bands in a mad rush in May or early June, and then it sat again all summer because I just.couldn't.make.myself.do.them. It was literally 2 hours of work or two episodes of something or other one afternoon. Easy-peasy.
The pattern is the Yellow Brick Road pattern, and I used Jade Swish from KnitPicks. I wanted the same color as my Ramona, because it is a good color for my clothing palette, but a different yarn because the original yarn I used wore very badly. I've got a lot of experience with Swish by now, and was reasonably confident in how it would stand up to heavy wearing.
It is superwash wool, so there are the difficulties inherent in that, but it is a more easy-care sweater as a result, and I like that very much. My mods to the pattern were to make it significantly shorter (3 inches and I meant to make it 4 inches shorter, but didn't calculate the bottom increases quite right) and to add the pattern charts around the cuffs and bottom hem, as well as to make it full length sleeves. These were all pretty easy mods. If I did it again (and I probably would; this pattern was pretty user friendly), I'd start the hem chart a few rows sooner.
The only problems I had were in chart C (the last row of charting on the yoke) where my stitch count ended up way off somehow. I had to rip it back and do it again, and then do the short row shaping again only to find it was still off. I ended up knitting a few stitches together on the following row to make it work, but that frustrated me. I don't know if it is an error in the pattern or a user error (mine!). In any case, I do like the pattern and found the whole thing pretty easy to follow. I did use the written directions because charts make me bonkers.
I also used some vintage buttons I had in my box. I dithered a lot about the buttons, since the green isn't quite an exact match, and my Ramona had brown buttons, which looked great. I had some brown ones that looked fine, but they were sort of heavy and I was concerned that they would stretch the band out of shape. In the end, I think these light weight plastic buttons look fine. I don't plan to wear it buttoned up like this, but it is nice to know that I can if I want to. ☺
So. Two good makes, I think! I'm actually quite thrilled with both of them.
Everyday Chambray Skirt #2
Rust Henley (ThredUp)
Yellow Brick Road Cardigan
Foot Traffic Tights
BOC leather boots
BOC leather boots








Both skirt and cardigan look great! I used to knit for myself but since I started sewing, I've knit less and less as sewing is just so much faster. But it would be nice to have a project to work on while watching TV with my husband.
ReplyDeleteThat's primarily why I knit! My husband and I don't watch much together (and we don't have a tv in any case) but I do watch a fair bit on my own (obvs) and like to have my hands busy while doing so. I have some trouble just sitting still and watching something. I recently go to the point of being able to do subtitles while knitting. :)
Delete