Some days just feel like Lent, you know? I've had a string of them lately. It's not really that anything has gone particularly wrong, or that I can put my finger on it exactly, except that everything just feels very...Lenty. (Is that a word? We'll pretend it is) I could detail all the little things that have been a bit off, but I think it would belabor the point and you all would be left shaking your heads at me.
The kids have staggered spring breaks, so I have various kids home for the next two weeks, and it is seriously messing with me. Plus I had to schedule ALL THE THINGS during these two weeks that are hard to accomplish during regular school days, like dentist appointments. So everything feels busy.
I've gotten a fair bit done this week, however. Just not the things I was planning to get done. Like Birdie's Pascha sweater. I've made fair progress on it, but I've been so dead-staring-tired by evening that whatever I get done in the afternoon is what I get done. And some of my afternoons have been...less than productive. I've been climbing Mount Washmore a bit more often than I'd like this week.
My reading pile. I'm trying to be disciplined and read a little bit of War and Peace each evening before I fall asleep. I realize this is not the most exalted of Lenten reading, but it feels like an endeavor, so I guess that is something. I'm about a third of the way way through The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe. I also picked up that little pamplet on the teachings of the Fathers on illness, and am finding it good reading, in small bits.
Not bad for a week or so's reading. It is very enjoyable and readable, as I've said, and the style reminds me a lot of Anna Karenina.
In other fiber news, I added a bit of trim to the Tokyo Train Ride dress. I was adding trim to Ponchik's gingham dress (because it came out a bit too short, despite careful measurements), and this coral crochet lace showed up in the mail, and I thought, why not? I think it adds a nice little something. I wouldn't do it for all my dresses, but it is a nice little addition to this dress.
I'm set to direct the Pre-Sanctified Liturgy at our church the next two Fridays, and I'm a bit nervous. It has been a few years since I directed this service, and I've got a new cold in my chest and my voice is going. I guess all I can do is offer it up as a sacrifice and hope it doesn't sound too terrible. Pray for me, a sinner!
Linking with Ginny for the Yarn Along!

I giggled when I read Mt. Washmore (been there). War and Peace is my favorite book. I read it the first time when I was a senior in high school -- many many decades ago -- for world lit. I watched the new movie version on A&E. Love the color of the sweater and the dress is too cute -- love the trim.
ReplyDeleteI adored the new movie version--I just finished watching it, and have been kind of bereft of something similar! Oh how I love James Norton. I actually went back and rewatched season one of Grantchester just to get my fix. :) I'm eager for season 2 to start.
Delete