Second verse, same as the first...
Guess what? It's another Dottie Angel frock.
I know. I'm bored too. But I really like this pattern! I fell in love with this fabric over a year ago, and even pre-ordered it (something I rarely do with fabric). I made it up last March using my Frankenpattern. It was the first time I had made fitting changes to my Frankenpattern, and marked a shift toward a slightly different silhouette on that dress.
I did made some mistakes with the original fabric, however. I cut my pieces in the wrong order, and ended up having to piece the bodice because the fabric pattern is directional. I also ran out of material for a proper belt and ended up making a snapped sash instead. I did really like that sash--it kind of completed the dress. And I had a heavy cotton sweater that coordinated perfectly, that was the right weight for the winter we had last year (i.e. two major snow storms in March!)
But when I tried on that dress in December, it was just too big. I wore it a few times, trying to make it work, but it just looked and felt too big. It was so big that it really wasn't feasible to take in without messing up the yoked pockets rather significantly. So I donated it, and said a sad farewell to the Tokyo Train Ride fabric.
But I missed having it in my closet. So, on a whim, I decided to see if I could find some more. And I did! Just in time for spring. I made a Dottie Angel dress, of course. Unfortunately, the sweater I wore last year is also now way too big, and I donated it earlier this winter. The weather has turned quite warm the last few days, so actually, it doesn't matter, at least not this year. I'm hoping to find something heavier to wear it with for next winter.
A good dress, overall. I do wish it was maybe an inch longer, but I seem to be having a Goldilocks problem with the length on this dress! I add a couple inches, take one off, go with the pattern length, decide I need a bit more...on and on. I should just pick a length and stick to it. It does hit just at the bottom of my knee, even though it doesn't look like it.
I would like to state for the record that it was 80 degrees yesterday. Eighty. It is March 10 today. This does not bode well for summer, methinks. I know it is an El Nino year and all that, but sheesh. It is supposed to get back down to more normal spring-like temps tomorrow, so there's that.
I'm nearing the end of my spring sewing--I almost can't believe it! I have one more skirt to make, and then I'm done for this rotation. I really thought I'd be wandering through my spring sewing list until May. Probably just as well, since my summer list is rather lengthy--almost nothing I made last summer fits this year, so I'm basically starting with a blank slate. So expect more Dottie Angel. A lot more. sorrynotsorry. After wearing these dresses in the warmer weather these last few days, I can safely say, they are the stuff for sticky summer days.
Just the facts:
Tokyo Train Ride Redux dress: Tokyo Train Ride, Cotton+Steel fabric, Simplicity 1080, elastic, bias binding
Michael Stars original t: ThredUp
Tights: Foot Traffic (via Sock Dreams)
Clogs: Dansko via ebay
Earrings/necklace set: etsy

really enjoyed seeing this! it's a fun fabric!!! I love the d.f. pattern! I look forward to seeing more of it!
ReplyDeleteVery, very pretty. That fabric is a complete joy!
ReplyDeleteMany hugs,
♥ Jessica
Here comes me, the picker: why don't you make some stuff to emphasize your nice waist? I really liked your looks from the back when you were wearing skirt + tight top this winter... would it be difficult to make a dress to fit you like that?
ReplyDeleteI have. I made most of my dresses last year with a defined waist, and I really am not in love with how they feel on me right now. With all my GI issues, I actually prefer having clothing that isn't very constricting around my middle right now. I end up feeling kind of uncomfortable, especially by the end of the day. This style of dress is just much more comfortable. I did change the front elastic on this one (see a few posts ahead) so that it has a more flattering hourglass shape.
DeleteAlso: slim skirt+slim top (that is knit) is hard to achieve in a comfort fit with woven fabrics. I aspire to knits someday, but not yet. :)