Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Talking Tuesday: Ken Myers

I was starting to feel a bit better last week, but then a stomach bug bit me on Saturday, and I'm still kind of recovering my energy.  I did make it to church on Sunday, but I am wiped out from the weekend's effort.  

via google images
Forgive me posting this with relatively little commentary.  Today's passage comes from Ken Myers, of the Mars Hill Audio Journal.  Myers is a man who thinks deeply about the extent to which Christians should engage the larger culture, and how much they should build fences in order to preserve the faith for the next generations.  He considers what culture is, and what it should be.

Rod Dreher quotes Myers' first volume of the excellent audio Mars Hill Journal:

"Cultures cultivate. A culture is more like an ecosystem than like a supermarket. And human persons, as encultured creatures, are generally less like independent rationally choosing shoppers than like organisms whose environment predisposes a certain set of attitudes and actions.

Cultures cultivate. Not that our activities are absolutely determined by cultural influences. We are rational beings, not just instinctual beings. We can make choices that go against the conventions sustained around us. We can lean into the prevailing winds, but only if we know how to stand somewhere solid. Only if we are not being carried by the wind. We need to be able to imagine alternative ways of perceiving reality.

Cultures cultivate, so if we want to offset the influence of cultural systems that distort or misrepresent reality, we need more than good arguments that analyze the distortions. We need cultural alternatives that provide opportunities for participating in a different way of telling the story of human experience.

For example, counteracting the materialistic reductionism of our time requires practices that convey to our imaginations the coherent unity of matter and spirit. Challenging the assumptions that human beings are best understood and best treated by social structures as autonomous choosers whose choices provide meaning in an otherwise meaningless universe requires settings in which submission and obedience to some order of things that precedes our willing is known as a delight and a blessing.

Distorted institutions and practices can’t be confronted only by arguments. They require well-ordered practices and institutions. Resisting cultural confusion is more than a matter of thinking outside the box. We need to be able to intuit outside the box. And to encourage well-ordered intuitions to those under our care, especially our children — because cultures cultivate.

I’m surprised by how often this simple fact is ignored by people who talk about cultural engagement. There are people who are honestly concerned about one trend or another in our social life, who regard those problems as the effect of bad arguments or bad intentions, and not, as they often are, as the product of some malformation or other in the shape of lived life. So they end up using malformed tools to repair the damage caused by the same malformed tools, thinking that better ideas, or a more clearly articulated list or priorities, or worst of all, the right political leadership, will fix things. To switch metaphors, they aren’t attending to the ecosystemic causes of those problems. They are applying more fertilizer or more water to plants that are suffering from a fatal amount of shade."

I think Ken Myers gets at what I wanted Jamie Smith to be addressing in How (Not) to Be Secular: Reading Charles Taylor.  My two main complaints about Smith's book are a) it is at times painfully obtuse to a non-philosophy person, and I felt like there was a lot of specialist academic argument going on in the footnotes and some in the body of the work that I didn't really understand; and b) his book is largely diagnostic, rather than prescriptive.  I realize he is summarizing Taylor, and giving us an understanding of how our modern culture got to the place it is, but I would have liked more prescription.  I get how we got here.  I want to know where we go from here in order to preserve the faith for our children.  

I guess the conclusion I keep coming back to is to simply "do" church.  Attend the services, pray in the home as a family, keep the liturgical cycle of feasts and fasts, read the Bible, talk about the Resurrection, talk about Jesus' ministry, talk about the disciples and the early Church, read the lives of the saints, make specific choices as a family to prioritize the Christian life, even if they run counter to the popular culture, limit engagement with secular media, read good books, learn history.  I realize it is little enough, but if enough of us do that, it forms a culture that is intuitive for our children, and hopefully will be intuitive then for their children.  One that they don't have to consider, but simply live.  

1 comment:

  1. I think these are the best things you can do. that and pray...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking time to leave a note! I appreciate it so much!!