Thursday, February 26, 2015

Dressing Downton Abbey

It's been a while since I did a specific post on Dressing Downtown Abbey--I did a few last winter, but they were mostly late 1910s outfits from season three.  


Season five puts us in 1925, and while it isn't my first choice for favorite fashion period, I do like some things.  My 1920s love really tops out in about 1923, as that is about the end of the late 1910s-trends and hem lines go up and waist lines drop down dramatically.  It isn't a particularly flattering silhouette on me, given my waist-to-hip ratio, which at the moment is whopping 11".


But my hair cooperated in a most 1920s fashion today, and I decided my outfit needed to match.  The dress is this one from eshakti that I've shown here before, but the long lines of the sweater and necklace "cheat" the silhouette a bit to bring it more into the 1920s. 


As much as I'm a fan of showing what I actually wear every day, I put these shoes on for the photos because that's what I would be wearing if our streets and sidewalks weren't a complete ice-skating rink since the storm this past weekend.  I nearly broke my neck just trying to get these photos taken in these shoes--they have good soles and decent traction, but there really isn't any substitute for heavy flat boots in this weather.  I've been wearing my fur-lined boots pretty much non-stop.


My hair ornaments are from Mat. Anna at Cozy House Curios.  I had a small crocheted flower from a Stampin' Up! embellishment kit that I made into a hair clip a long time ago, and I liked it so much that I commissioned Mat. Anna to make me a few more in neutral colors.  I finally got around to attaching them to clips this morning and I went to town.  I really like them and highly recommend her work.  (She is a friend and a frequent commenter on this blog.  She did not ask me to review these hair ornaments, but I love them so much I wanted to give her some blog love!)


My awesome 1920s style necklace--a random etsy find last winter.


More hair clip shots--I'm really quite pleased with the shape of my hair today--I didn't really do anything to it after showering except to comb it with a fine-tooth comb, fluff up the curls and then start pinning.  The advantage of curly hair, I guess!  No need for marcel clips (although I do have some)  I spend so much time being generally frustrated with my hair that it is nice to have a few good days here and there.


It is surprisingly hard to get a good back shot of one's own hair.


The two front clips, in detail.


One of the back clips--I couldn't get a good shot of the other one, but it is similar to this one, just a little smaller.

It being the first week of Great Lent, my GI system has decided to go crazy, so this outfit was just the thing for today.

Outfit details:
Dress: eshakti
Sweater: Merona from Target
Necklace: etsy
Earrings: etsy
hair flowers: Cozy House Curios
Shoes: Portlandia
Tights: Heather Mocha from Foot Traffic via Sock Dreams


6 comments:

  1. Aw, thank you! :) I love the clips in your hair! It's great to see them "at work", so to speak. :)

    I have that same dress and I just love it. I wish it came in other colors because I'd order more. It's always nice to see how other people accessorize things I own to get ideas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) You might check the site again--I've got a red version, and I've seen it in green, I think. They seem to offer it in various colors depending on what is in stock.

      Delete
    2. They still have the red one! http://www.eshakti.com/Product/CL0031916/Cotton-knit-curved-waist-dress

      Delete
    3. Oh yes, I did see the red, but I can't wear that much red, sadly. :/ I wish they would offer it in green!

      Delete
    4. Says who? I bet you look stunning in red with your coloring! I have seen it offered in a grassy-kelly type green, so I'd say, just keep checking!

      Delete
  2. Cute! I'm not a Downton-er, but I love the outfit (especially the shoes). :)

    The Starving Inspired

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking time to leave a note! I appreciate it so much!!