As per usual, I'm working on three things at once, and reading about four books at the same time. I'm still rambling through Anne Hollander's excellent Seeing Through Clothes in addition to the below tomes.
I'm finally getting around to reknitting the soft-shoulder cowl that I made in November and frogged after wearing a few times. I made a few mistakes on the steeks, and it was too long in the neck and a little too narrow in the shoulders and it just bugged me. So I frogged it and set it aside. I'm back at it with some modifications to fix the sizing issues. I also started reading The Ascetic Lives of Mothers as part of my Lenten reading. It is good, easy to pick up and put down, and very profound. I'm trying to take it in small bits so I can really let it seep into me.
The 1918 pullover seater is coming along--the garter stitch is very mindless, and I'm curious about the construction of it, as it is done from hem to hem, with no shoulder seams. I'm also making progress with Judith Flanders' The Making of Home. As predicted, I'm completely fascinated. Finally, a book that really gets at so much of my academic interest in domestic life and the sociology of house and home. I'm eager to see where it goes.
I finished the striped hat, but it came out much too big, and as it was superwash wool, there was no chance of making it smaller. (I'm not sure what went wrong--I got gauge, and I do have a big head, so I knitted the largest size, which should have been an inch of negative ease, but I ended up with about 6" of positive ease. Not really going for the Rasta look, thankyouverymuch. I frogged it and will give it another go when I finish the cowl. I bought the Nicholas Carr book for my husband as a namesday gift and he just finished it, so I'm going to read it next. We both loved his earlier book, The Shallows, and I'm eager to see what he has to say in this one.
Linking with Ginny for Yarn Along.

Love your knitting, love your book choices. Another trip to the library!
ReplyDeletelooking forward to hearing how this round of knitting goes! we learn a lot while doing! so glad that the A. lives of Mothers is a good read! :) always interesting to see what you are reading! :) (ps: I think I am in love with your kitchen; I see those blue Dutch tiles etc!!!
ReplyDelete