Sunday, November 2, 2014

Rusty Buttons ~wiws~



I spent a few hours yesterday putting my first corduroy skirt together. I've mostly worked with mid-weight woven fabric up to now, and corduroy was a grand lesson in finger pressing, but I'm fairly pleased with the end result.  I'm really loving the rust color.  It goes with several things in my closet and is one of the few true "fall" like colors that I can wear (most of them wash me out).  


I used the skirt half of my Frankendress pattern (McCall's 4275) and added the pockets from the Simplicity 1797, plus a waist band. I had in mind to make detachable suspenders to make it a jumper type skirt, but ran out of time. I have the suspenders cut, but can sew them up the next time I get out my machine. I'm also waiting on the buttons I wanted to use for the suspenders, so that was fine anyway.


Because it was corduroy and prone to fraying, I used Hong Kong seams to finish the insides. I wish in retrospect that I was better at French seams, as I think it would have been easier. The bias I used was a bit narrow for the fabric, so it was pesky to put on. I'm just glad it was a four gore skirt and not a six gore!  I also used bias on the hem and machine finished it, which made it a bit longer than is possibly ideal on my frame, but I'm kind of wanting slightly longer hems right now, so I'm going to leave it.  I can always hem it up higher at a later date if I want to.


Considering my fitting issues for skirts, this one came out pretty well--I'm off maybe 1/2" on the waist, and I could cinch it with a belt.  

I used a vintage button I got in a mosh of rust colored buttons, but it is over a snap because I just didn't feel like working a buttonhole yesterday.  Might go back and do one later.


I wore this outfit to church this morning, and ended up throwing the shawl on over it, as it has turned cold these last days.  The wind was fierce today as well (gusts up to 50 mph at times), so I was grateful for another layer over my coat.  


I didn't interface the waistband because I wasn't sure how to use fusible with corduroy, so the top part wants to roll out a bit, but that happens with interfaced bands too, so I guess it can't be helped.

Blurry action shot.

Details:
Green knit top: Old Navy via ThredUp
Navy camisole (under green top): Twice
Scarf: Target
Shawl: Ralph Lauren via Burlington Coat Factory (I think--or possibly Ross; I've had it a long time)
Boots: LLBean mid-calf wellie
Sunglasses: Retronetty (ebay)
Earrings: Kohl's 

Linking with FLAP.

6 comments:

  1. I LOVE it!!!! One of my favorite colors too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, I am impressed! I wish I could sew. The green and rust with the patterned scarf are so fun for fall!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm impressed too! I haven't tried working with corduroy...too much of a coward. (c;

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was much easier than I expected. The only difference was in the pressing and cutting. I've never worked with a napped fabric before, so I did pay careful attention to my cutting, and also decided against a six gore skirt for this reason, as I would have had to buy an extra yard or two to make sure the nap ran the right direction all the way through! But as for the pressing, I'm used to pressing my seams pretty vigorously, but I researched it beforehand, and finger pressing as I went worked fine. I did press on a wool setting with a press cloth, which helped it to relax a bit too. I'm not saying I want to work with it all the time, but it was definitely doable.

      Delete
  4. Love the skirt! And those fall colors look great! Not sure if I would've dared to pair them, but you're rocking it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. very nice! well done, fun colour also!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking time to leave a note! I appreciate it so much!!