Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Talking Tuesday: Solitude and Social Media

I'm going to post this one without a lot of commentary, in part because I think the original article covers it well, and in part because I'm so depleted these days that I have little of substance to offer anyone.  As an introvert who craves a lot of solitude but lives with a lot of noise and chaos all the time, the article resonated with me on many different levels.  It is a good thing to think about as we head into the Nativity Fast.

Jean-Baptiste-Camille Corot - The Solitude. Recollection of Vigen, Limousin - Google Art Project

"We are in danger of losing these replenishing, corrective moments of solitary faith. Silence and seclusion are harder to find, and fewer people seek them out. You find a lone bench in the park on a fall afternoon, gaze up at the sky through the branches, and begin the Rosary only to have a power walker march by barking into an invisible mic. It’s not just the noise, it’s his connection to absent persons, as if to say that being in one place alone with the Lord is insufficient."

~Mark Bauerlein, Prayer in the Facebook Age, First Things Online, December 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking time to leave a note! I appreciate it so much!!