Thursday, November 6, 2014

We don't need no stinking closet orphans

I mentioned a while back that I might have made a closet orphan.
For those not familiar with the term, it is a garment that goes with nothing else you own.  I try really hard not to do this, as I have a Victorian closet, and the rods are tiny.  I can't afford to have a bunch of garments that don't go with anything, and my mornings are sufficiently hectic that I can't spare a lot of brain space trying to put outfits together.  I try to make things that will go with items already in my closet, or that will go together if I'm making an outfit.  But good intentions and all that.
At the end of the summer, I was browsing etsy for patterns inspiration, and I ran across this image:


I confess, I fell madly in love with the brown jumper, and decided it needed a place in my sewing queue and closet.  I knew that I wouldn't really wear a checkered collared shirt like the one pictured very much, so I decided against making one like it.


The original pattern wasn't in my size and was not at a price point I was willing to pay, so when I ran across this McCall's pattern, I thought it would work nicely!  It doesn't have princess seams like the original, and doesn't button up the front, but I wasn't super keen to make a jumper with 10 buttonholes on it.  I used some brown check flannel from my stash, omitted the lining and bound the edges with brown bias, and Bob's your uncle!  It went together quite quickly, and I've worn it a few times now, but have struggled to find things to go with it because of the neckline and shoulders.  


The shoulders are quite wide (I probably could have narrowed them a bit, but this style is actually a bit more accurate to the 40s anyway, and I think takes away the 50s vibe from the original, which is fine by me).  The square neckline has proved tricky to pair with other items in my wardrobe, as it really needs a high neckline, and the brown check is just busy enough that it needs a solid color under it.  In short: this jumper was in grave danger of becoming a closet orphan.  I did wear it with my red boat neck shirt, which looked fine, and today I remembered I had this blue knit shirt in with my winter sweaters, and it works well.  I think I can toss a heavier pullover sweater over it in colder weather and it will look well as a faux-skirt too.  I have a blue collared button down blouse that will probably work with it as well; sometimes I find it takes a while for a garment to settle into my wardrobe. 


I shortened the bodice by 1/2" based on my pattern measurements and previous experience with 50s pattern drafting, but probably didn't need to, as the waist is a smidge high (but being short waisted has its advantages occasionally)


I was a little concerned about the frump factor, but I think, after seeing the photos, that it is okay.  It will also look better with my brown laced up boots, once the weather gets a bit colder.


In other news, I'm starting to get to the bottom of my cold-weather sewing pile.  I've reassessed my list, and I think at this point, I've got one or two more skirts to sew, another Frankendress, and the 1917 Coat Dress, plus a special little side project that I've been scheming for a while.  I'm struggling a lot with energy levels lately, and feel like I spend a lot of my days moving underwater, which isn't great for my sewing mojo.  I also find that I'm shifting more to my knitwear list as the weather has turned, which is fine too.  Series Two of the Miss Fisher Mysteries just hit Netflix, so I've got plenty of stuff to keep me company while I knit!  A while back, I had started work on two garments that I realize now are going to be better to wear in the spring, so I think I will wait to finish them until then.  No point in spending sewing time on something I can't wear for a good long while.

Details:
Jumper: McCalls 9464, Brown check flannel from Robert Kaufman (I think; it is sold out on fabric.com)
Blue knit shirt: Merona (thrifted ages ago)
John Horse brooch: Acorn and Will
Shoes: Dankso via ebay
Tights: Foot traffic via Sock Dreams
Earrings: from my mom

1 comment:

Thanks for taking time to leave a note! I appreciate it so much!!