Tuesday, September 2, 2014

What to Wear in the Swamp


It's swamp time in the city, that lovely (not really) stretch of early September that turns into a humid, drippy, heat-drenched mess, just after a tease of fall last week.  It happens without fail every year.  Usually followed by a hurricane or two.  Just as the kids are going back to school.  My kids start back tomorrow, and the rest of the week is anticipated to be much the same as today: 80%+ humidity, 90+ degree temps, sunny and disgusting. 


I know one isn't supposed to wear white after Labor Day, but this dress is one of my coolest summer pieces, and works great on a sticky hot day like today.  I wish I had been able to wear it more this summer, but it isn't very nursing friendly; but hopefully by next summer it will be in full rotation again.  The sleeves are a smidge shorter than what is ideal on my arms, but on a day like today, I don't actually care that much.


I bought this dress from eshakti two summers ago and it has been a workhorse of a dress.  It travels well, washes easily, and doesn't really need ironing.  And the silhouette is pretty much my ideal dress silhouette.  I've had mixed luck with eshakti dresses this year, but I'm getting better at spotting the silhouettes I like best.


Annnd...you can see how sticky it is by how much my hair is sticking to my neck.  Blech.


I really like this hairdo--my hair is off my neck, off my forehead, and still looks "period".  Plus it is easy.  It works best on a second day wet set.


Outfit deets:

Dress: Eshakti (old, but similar styles are on the website now)
Necklace: Frenchie's Flea Market
Earrings: gift from the husband about 10 years ago
Sunglasses: ebay
Shoes: Dansko via ebay
Watch: Polar Fit 4 (I'm wearing it for a few days all day to get a baseline on my energy expenditure during ordinary routines)

1 comment:

  1. it's hard with the hot days. That pj shirt is kinda cute and he looks good in red! He's excited to have a picture with you, that's great! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking time to leave a note! I appreciate it so much!!