Friday, December 13, 2013

7QT: Pop Culture Edition (sorta)



--1--

I love acapella music.  I grew up listening to The Acapella Company and good harmony and vocals just feels good in my soul.  So imagine my delight when a friend put me on to NBC's The Sing-Off!  We don't have a tv, so our programming has to come via ye old internet, but fortunately for me, NBC has some lovely clips on the show's page.  Birdie and I enjoyed watching a few song clips this morning. I'm going forth to find more episodes forthwith.  

--2--



The best part about watching The Sing Off on NBC.com is the Sprint ad that precedes many of the clips, which is Malcolm McDowell and James Earl Jones deadpanning a cell phone conversation between two teenage girls.  Hearing James Earl Jones say, with utter seriousness, "Totes McGotes?" Priceless.


--2--


Speaking of good shows, I've been immersed in Phryne Fisher this week, watching Miss Fisher's Mysteries on Netflix.  It is a nice Aussie show set in 1928, based on the Phryne Fisher mystery novels.   The costuming is lovely, and I so enjoy the interaction of Dot and Hugh, and Phryne and Jack.  Apparently there is another season that is showing now, and it might possibly be cancelled after that (boo hoo!), but I'm hoping it will continue.  My only beef with the show is that Miss Fisher wears entirely too many pairs of trousers for a woman of the period (even a liberated one), and they aren't quite period correct.  Women did wear long wide-legged loose trousers, but they were very high waisted (think 14-15" rise), but Miss Fisher's look a tad too modern.  But otherwise, the costuming is spectacular.


--3--

So, sickness has struck us again.  The adults in the household have been fighting a monster head cold for about two weeks, and the baby came down with it earlier this week, so much snuffling, Nose Frida-ing, and saline-up-the-nose have commenced this week.  I think I'm over the absolute worst of it (I had a monster headache on Tuesday that has thankfully dissipated, but the junk continues to bubble up out of my lungs and down from my head.  The worst part is not being able to get any real volume on my voice right now.  Makes multi-floor living challenging.

--4--


Birdie's favorite dress at the moment is this wool-blend Austrian dirndl-type jumper that I found on the street in a box of give-away clothes someone set on the curb.  (Don't worry, I washed it in hot water about three times before I did anything with it).  It was too big last year, but it is a good fit this year and looks so cute on her.  We've been putting a long-sleeve onesie under it because the dress didn't have a blouse with it, and Birdie calls it the "snappie."  She looks in her drawer in the morning for the red dress, and then says "I need a snappie!"

--5--

And talking about Birdie, she is driving me bonkers right now with her small obsession with tissues and paper towels.  She is constantly running into the kitchen for a paper towel that she uses on precisely nothing, and then wads up and shoves in the trash.  Ditto for the tissues.  She was doing it with wipes too, but I put them better out of her reach.  I do not love this stage.

--6--



Pilot cap #1 is finished.  Oddly, it fits both girls well (ages 2 and 7 months), so for the second one, I'm making the same size, but one size smaller needles, just to differentiate.  Super fast and easy pattern, once I got the hang of it!  Definitely an afternoon-type project, so perfect.  I officially have too many knitting projects in my queue at the moment, so it is nice to get a few out of the way quickly.

--7--



And because I feel lousy and got nothin', you get an outfit.  I've been living in this outfit for about three days now, and it is warm for the cold weather, comfortable for my achy body, and generally perfect in every way.  Just ignore the puffy pale face above the neck.  (But at least I'm having a good hair day!)  Notice the Acorn and Will cat pin on the sweater.  And no, I did not go out without my coat.  I went outside, threw my coat over the mirror of our car, took the photo, and then put my coat back on.  It was about 25 degrees, so that's why my hands are in my pockets!


2 comments:

  1. I think I have made seven or eight of those pilot caps since Miriam was a baby, and I've got two more to make. I love them. They are so perfect - cute and vintage and bonnet-y, but warm and covers their ears. Love them so much.

    I'm going to look up that show - I need more to watch while knitting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got the original idea from you! I commissioned one from a gal in our church when Birdie was a baby, and Ponchik is wearing it now (even though it technically still fits B), but I wanted to make matching ones for Nativity. Finished #2 today; on to the booties!

      Delete

Thanks for taking time to leave a note! I appreciate it so much!!