Friday, December 6, 2013

7QT: On Advent, Plumbing, Fasting Crack, and Gifts


--1--


This year, I'm trying to introduce some kid-oriented Advent activities, as it seems like the boys are old enough to kind of get what is going on with the season.  In an effort not to stress myself out too much, however, I'm keeping it simple.  The Cradle to Cross candle wreath was kind of a bust, which is a shame, because it is beautiful, and well made.  It is simply too big for our table.  Boo nearly set himself on fire the first day we tried to use it, so I don't think we'll be using it while our kids are small and we have our current set up.  Unfortunately, we don't have a lot of horizontal surfaces in the house, and certainly none that big that can handle a lot of live flame.  I kept the donkey figure out, though, and pulled out the jury-rigged advent wreath from last year (to accomodate 6 candles instead of four, since our Fast is 40 days).  We've been lighting the first candle every night before supper and singing "O Come O Come Emmanuel" during the lighting.  It feels appropriate and good.

--2--


I love Nativity sets, and while I think I have a nice little collection for myself, they are mostly fragile and/or not at all kid-friendly.  I had in mind to buy the Melissa and Doug wooden set at some point, and decided this year was the year.  It is great!  Sturdy and well made, like all M&D toys, and has been getting a lot of play this week.  I kept the baby Jesus out of the set for now, and will add Him in after the Feast, like I do with all my sets.  

--3--


We're also doing a Jesse Tree this year.  We always did one when I was growing up, and I loved it!  I didn't have time to get all the materials from my mom to make the version we did as kids, but I found some free printables online, and just made something to get started this year.  I ordered a wooden dowel Jesse Tree from amazon to hang the ornaments on.  Maybe by next year I can make something better.  Or not.  We will start the readings on the 14th so that we end on Russian Orthodox Christmas on January 7.  We did start the Jesse Box readings last Sunday, but since those are only done on Sundays, I think we can stretch two 
Sundays out of it.


--4--


And since you asked, yes, we do have another toilet sitting in our living room.  The second floor toilet began acting up yesterday.  I snaked and plunged it as best I could, but ended up having to call Roto Rooter anyway, and my husband said, let's just replace it before it does it again.  So he stopped at Lowe's yesterday and picked up another toilet.  Our regular plumber will come next week to install it, hopefully.  Until then, we are just classy like that.

--5--


Speaking of Advent, let's talk quick a minute about fasting food.  I bought these chick'n nuggets from Whole Foods, since we like the patties, and boy, they are good.  Like, fasting crack good.  Like, I almost don't mind being allergic to chicken good.  I made them last night, and the kids liked them (huh--usually they don't go for normal "kid" fare), so I promptly bought some more this morning when I ran down to Whole Foods for a smoothies.

--6--


And smoothies.  I'm having a bit of a gastroparesis flare at the moment, so I'm sort of living on Naked Protein Double Berry smoothies until it passes.  Although, after two weeks, it is wearing a bit thin.  However, I am thankful for the mental break from food that a flare gives me, so that has to count for something, right?

--7--


I sent our Christmas cards this week, and also got my act together with gift cards and notes for teachers, babysitters, and delivery guys (we order a ton of stuff online, so we keep the post office and UPS guys busy--I feel like they should get a little something, especially as our regular postman and UPS guys are so nice and good at their jobs).  I made some of the cards in MDS, but I also made some gift card holders after I saw Alisha's version.  Mine is just adapted a tidge from hers.  They are so easy and fast to make!  I used Many Merry Messages, Perfect Blend and Gorgeous Grunge, and paired them with the dsp stack from last year.  (Incidentally, I wish GG came with a water ring stamp--then it would be the ideal grunging up stamp set!)


Go see Jen for more Quick Takes!

3 comments:

  1. oh dear, hope you feel better; yikes, glad there was no fire, sigh...someday!! I like what you are doing with your kids for the Nativity Fast. And singing O Come O Emanuel nightly, well I am just plain jealous!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, I'm curious-- what is IN chickenless nuggets? Tofu? Vegetables? I assume they would be called fish nuggets if it was fish... :-)

    I hope you feel better soon and can move beyond smoothies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!

      The nuggets are mostly soy protein with some grains mixed in. No fish. :)

      Delete

Thanks for taking time to leave a note! I appreciate it so much!!