I adapted this recipe from Yummy Mummy Kitchen. It wasn't exactly a hit with my kids (the boys were both fussed up about the avacado and the sprouts--I'll leave them off their burgers next time!), but my husband liked it, and I thought it was pretty good. The only thing I would do differently next time is to use more BBQ sauce during the basting (perhaps saucing it in a small bowl would work better, as Yummy Mummy suggests). You can also add cheddar cheese to your buns to make it vegetarian for non-fasting days.
Vegan BBQ Tempeh Burgers
Ingredients:
6 Whole Wheat hamburger buns
1 pound Tempeh (I used two 8 oz packages of Three Grain)
BBQ sauce (I used Weber's Molasses)
Avacado
Red or yellow onion, diced coarsely
Olive oil
Salad sprouts (I used a broccoli/clover mix)
Panini press or hot grill
Cut tempeh into thirds. Baste liberally with BBQ sauce and place on hot griddle or grill. I grilled mine with the press down for five minutes, or whenever strong grill marks appeared. If grilling, you may need to turn over once and grill slightly longer.
While tempeh is cooking, toast buns in toaster oven or on grill.
Place onions in shallow fry pan and add a tablespoon or so of olive oil and cook on medium heat until dark brown and fragrant (about 7-10 minutes or longer if on medium-low heat).
Remove avacado from outer skin and slice thinly.
Assemble burgers as follows: avacado, tempeh, carmelized onions, sprouts. Enjoy! A little BBQ sauce on the side is nice for dipping.
A healthy feast! I served this with steamed sugar snap peas, raw carrots, and a Romaine lettuce salad.












No comments:
Post a Comment
Thanks for taking time to leave a note! I appreciate it so much!!