Not enough progress on the sweater to justify a Yarn Along post this week (I only knitted 3-4 more rows), so joining Hallie at Moxie Wife for Five Favorites again. I'm about 60 pages from the end of Present Shock and I'm planning to write something about it when I'm finished and have had some time to digest it a bit.
1. A few months ago I bought a cookie scoop--seems like an unnecessary kitchen tool when one has two perfectly good teaspoons, but actually, I love it. Perfectly round cookies every time, all the same size.
2. I don't know if I've mentioned ThredUP before, but I discovered them this spring, and it has been fabulous! They are an online consignment store for kids, and just opened a women's section. They send you prepaid bags to consign your own stuff, and the items they carry are in very good condition. I've had extremely good luck finding things for Birdie as I'm getting to the end of the clothing sizes that were handed down from a neighbor. I also bought a few post-partum items for myself using my consignment credits! My only complaint is that you have to be very familiar with how a particular brand fits, as they have no description of the item beyond brand and size. I know, for example, that Gap stuff runs small, Old Navy and Dress Barn run a little big, Ralph Lauren runs small (unless it is Chaps brand for Kohl's, then it is closer to size), and size accordingly. (In kids, Gerber runs very small and Carter's tends to run on-size; Osh Kosh runs a little big). I also don't buy brands I'm not super familiar with. They did just institute a return policy, but the hassle of returning something so cheap almost isn't worth it, so I try to make my orders count on the front end.
3. I am always on the hunt for good belts, as I tend to accessorize my vintage look with them. As I'm getting to the end of this pregnancy, I've found skinny belts to be very helpful and can turn a sloppy-ish outfit into something that looks halfway nice. I went to H&M earlier this week to get a yellow cardigan (not in yet, sadness), but ended up with two braided skinny belts, so yay for that! I needed a second brown belt and a black one, and I've been wearing the brown one almost non-stop. It has the advantage of being non-binding and just a wee bit stretchy, which is perfect for this 9 months-pregnant mama.
4. As I tend to do before every baby is born, I've been collecting books to read in the hospital and during those long hours of nursing. This week I ordered Mary Roach's Bonk (after loving Packing for Mars). She is primarily a science writer, but her writing is so entertaining and downright funny, you almost forget she's not a comedian. Plus she makes what should be boring science facts terrifically fascinating. I packed the book in my hospital bag as soon as it arrived so I don't read it before I go into labor!
5. I also wanted some light music to listen to in case I end up with a noisy or snoring roommate on the post partum ward. (Please pray I have a room to myself! I'm so nervous about the prospect, which is pretty likely given the hospital where I give birth. I've been lucky so far, but you never know what you're gonna get and I've heard some truly nightmarish stories from friends who had rotten roommates for three days. I don't want to come home more stressed out than I went in). With Birdie, I had just bought Bon Iver's first album, which is lovely, but I wanted something a little different this time and bought Joshua Redman's latest, Walking Shadows. It is jazzy and quiet, and I like it. I'm avoiding listening to it so I don't burn out on it before the birth, but I've got it loaded and ready to go!
Alrighty, now back to Hallie!
will pray. great that you are getting as ready as you can be... we pray daily for you and all of your family...
ReplyDelete