Friday, April 12, 2013

7QT: Of Headwounds and Early Mornings


 

--1--

This is feeling like the longest Lent evah.  I keep thinking we are much closer to Holy Week than we really are, and by the time I got to today (Friday), I was thinking, it's only been one more week?  Really?  

Last week, I wrote that my husband was in Brooklyn test driving a Kia Rondo.  He went there knowing that the dealership was slightly dodgy, according to online reviews and his own phone experience with them, so his expectations were pretty low.  It turned out to be a classic bait and switch, so he wasted an early morning train ride, plus the hassle of getting out to Brooklyn.  On the upside, he was still able to keep his morning plans pretty much intact and attend the conference he was in town to attend.

On the downside, we still don't have a vehicle that can accomodate all of the children we will soon have, and I can't decide whether this makes me feel incredibly stressed, or whether I'm feeling all Zen about it.  We were hoping to have the car before Holy Week so that when we are navigating all the extra services of Holy Week, we have some options for shuttling kids back and forth.  I guess we might just end up renting an extra vehicle for those few days.  It's really not a big deal, but I was hoping we'd have the car puzzle piece in place by now.  We are also reconsidering the Mazda5, and have the opportunity to try a friend's car this week, so that might influence our decision as well.  I'm just trying not to think about it much.

--2--

In other news, my husband traveled to Washington DC on Wednesday for a moot court, and stayed late to attend the pre-sanctified liturgy at one of the big cathedrals down there.   Around 8:30, I got a call from a 202 area code and a woman's voice on the line told me she thought that my husband was okay, but that they were in an ambulance going to the hospital.  He had fallen and split his head open on the marble floor of the church, and was bleeding profusely.  "Oh, that.  That's okay," says I.  "Head wounds bleed like a crazy and always look worse than they are."  She sounded relieved that I wasn't hysterical.  "Oh, so you have experience with this?"  You have no idea, lady.  As it turned out, my husband required stitches for the laceration on his forehead, has an impressive black eye, a few chipped teeth and is achy and sore all over.  His CT scan was negative, and it doesn't appear that he did anything to damage his neck where he had surgery years ago.  He fortunately did not break his cheekbone or nose, although the bridge is slightly bruised.  The people from the parish were very kind, and the woman who called me accompanied him to the hospital with her husband and they waited with him there until he was nearly ready to be discharged.  The priest from the parish also came to the hospital and kindly drove him to the hotel where he spent the rest of the night.  He came home yesterday morning and spent the day in bed, doped up on painkillers.  He was a bit perkier this morning and even went to work (although he took the bus instead of biking as usual).  I am grateful that he is doing okay, and seems to have suffered no lasting damage.

--3--

He only looks harmless.  That cheeper is a killer.
After all that lovely drama, I didn't get to bed until after midnight on Wednesday night, and then Birdie was up for an hour from 2:00-3:00, and then both boys were up For.The.Day at 5:00 freaking a.m.  I asked why Piglet was screeching to get up when it was still full dark, and he said "The birds are awake."  (Insert expletive of your choice here--birds!) This over a noise machine!  It explains the other day this week that everyone woke up for the day in hourly increments starting at 3:00 a.m.  Today started at 5:30 a.m., so I'm pretty much running on fumes. 

--4--

And now for another TMI post.  I just wanted to update after last week's razor story.  I did pull out the razor on Monday, and it seems that whatever was going on last summer seems to have abated for the moment, so I'm very happy about that!  It may be because of the edema that is currently going crazy in my legs, but whatever, I'll take it.  (A plus for pitting edema!--never thought I'd say that!)  I did buy a hypoallergenic electric razor on ebay last week on the off-chance that it happens again.

--5--

"Let's look all dark and broody, and then everyone will want to buy our album."
We've been listening to 2Cellos and The Piano Guys on the stereo this week, and Piglet really likes several of the faster pieces on each album, and especially enjoys "dancing" to them.  When he was a young toddler, his dancing consisted of something that resembled squats--Birdie dances that way now.  It is hilarious.  As he's gotten older, however, his dancing has matured, and now he does the chicken dance.  To everything.  It is pretty funny.

--6--

32 weeks of sausage fingers
We've also had the weirdest weather this week.  The weekend was very temperate, being in the mid-60s, but Monday-Wednesday, we had a freak heat spike and it was in the mid-80s (April, people, April!!).  I will say I've had my heat now, and I'm done with summer.  The last two days have been much cooler and rainy--I'll take mid-40s over mid-80s any day!  The temperature changes have coincided with my body temperature finally catching up with my hormones.  This has been one of my "cold" pregnancies, where I can't get enough layers on my body, no matter what I do.  I felt like my core was cold all winter and I just couldn't get warm.  (Oddly, my last winter pregnancy was the same way).  Since Sunday, however, when I woke up with sausages for fingers and hams for feet, I've been feeling the heat.  So in with the summer maternity dresses, and out with my beloved cotton tights (although it must be said, I was ready to put them into the drawer for the year). 

--7--

I did CASE this one from a "real" card I saw on some blog, but the other two are all me.
And some cards!  I am participating in a stamping event in June (even though I won't actually be there in person--I'm making samples for the boards).  The challenge was to use one sketch, color combo, or stamp set in different ways.  I ended up doing the sketch challenge with My Digital Studio, and the stamp set challenge using the Oh, Hello! stamp set.  The MDS cards arrived today, and these are three of the twelve.  They are all quite different, but the layout is the same. 
  


Jen is busy tending to her new baby, so go see the always hilarious Grace for more Quick Takes!



5 comments:

  1. sausage fingers??? No way. you look great.

    I have to admit that I feel like I'm going crazy with the talk of Lent .... ? Maybe we're on different wavelengths?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh man, I feel like I just saw a celebrity! Thanks for stopping by (and commenting!!)

      I probably should have mentioned that we are Orthodox Christians and still have a few weeks to go to Pascha this year (it is one of those odd years where Eastern and Western Easter are super far apart).

      Delete
  2. Marble floors and blood...dramatic! Very calm response. Best wishes for the swelling to go down and to find a car!

    ReplyDelete
  3. someday I hope and pray you will look back at all the craziness and wonder, how did I survive and see that somehow in the midst God has been carrying you all through these exhausting times... meanwhile, prayers continue.

    So glad that everyone is OK ... 2 more weeks of Lent... I also was thinking we only had 1 more week...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am seriously living in a cave...thanks for the 2Cellos suggestion. Awesome. Plus, you look amazing :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking time to leave a note! I appreciate it so much!!