Friday, April 26, 2013

Foodie Friday: Lazy Man's Veggie Bake with Garlic Couscous

I wish I could take credit for this creation, but I got the original recipe from a friend at church, who in turn got the recipe from our priest's daughter.  I adapted it quite a bit because of what I had on hand, combined with the protein needs of our family.  Oh, and I remembered to take a picture this time!!


Lazy Man's Veggie Bake with Garlic Couscous

Serves 4-5

2 boxes Near East Roasted Garlic Couscous (note: contains soy protein)
1 can sliced beets, drained and rinsed and then diced
2 hearty handfuls of frozen sliced carrots (or two sliced fresh carrots)
1 can mushrooms, drained (or use 16 oz fresh sliced)
1 -2 bell peppers, diced
1 handful sliced frozen peppers (omit if using two fresh)
1 small zucchini, diced
1 red onion, large diced
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
½ teaspoon salt (I recommend using a large flaky sea salt like Maldon--totally worth the price of admission)


Slivered almonds (optional)*

Instructions: 

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Place vegetables in a large mixing bowl and add oil, spices and salt.  Toss thoroughly to coat.  Place vegetables in a 9x13 glass baking dish and bake for 20-25 minutes or until nicely steaming.

Make couscous according to package directions and fluff with fork.  Serve roasted vegetables over couscous and top with slivered almonds.  Drizzle with additional olive oil if desired.



*For those who are aware of my very serious nut allergy, I'll just say that almonds are one of the few nuts I can tolerate to have in the house.  Until 2006, I was even able to eat almonds myself, so I tend to keep them around for the kids, since it isn't so dangerous for me to handle them, or to inhale the odors (as opposed to say, walnuts, pecans, or cashews--those are lethal and must never enter the house!)  I do take precautions, however, and am careful not to handle almonds with my bare hands if I can avoid it, and scrupulously clean twice anything that comes in contact with almond butter or whole almonds. 



1 comment:

Thanks for taking time to leave a note! I appreciate it so much!!