Friday, October 15, 2010

Parenting

Parenting is a humbling experience. Not only do you see all the flaws in yourself (and your spouse) replicated in your children, you also get your worst moments parroted back at you. Piglet has started to repeat my scoldings in the exact same tone of voice. Not to taunt me, but because he likes the sound of his own voice and is trying out new things. But it taunts me a little. I hear how I sound, and what it must sound like to him and I squirm with embarrassment. I never wanted to be that parent.

And yet, my scolding is often to keep him from hurting himself, or causing harm to others, so it does serve a purpose. I just wish it wasn't such a frequent necessity. A priest once told me to reserve my ire for the moments where it was most needed, so that when I really needed the message to get through, it wouldn't be lost in the general atmosphere of constant nagging and scolding. I have a hard time with that one, because I feel often feel like my days are one constant obstacle course of trying to keep my children safe and teach them right from wrong. And it is hard to do that in a soft voice when they frequently develop deafness where discipline is concerned. But I'll keep working on it. There is a priest's wife I know and admire who has a great way with children (she has five of her own) and never seems to raise her voice or get flustered. I realize her children are nearly grown, and that I don't live with her, but I aspire to speak softly (and not carry a big stick).


Today's card is a thank you card for my good friend Rebecca, who sent a lovely book to Piglet for his namesday on the 11th. I wrote the card from him to her, and I hope she likes it! I used the Mojo Monday sketch again, omitting the buttons on the side. I used up some SAB dp from two years ago and another color combo I'm fond of. I made 10 more of these as birthday cards for the Operation Write Home box. I think some little child will be happy to receive these! I borrowed this set from a friend and am having some fun with it!

Supplies:
Whisper White, Sahara Sand, Real Red, Bashful Blue, Delicate Dots dp (retired)
Teddy and Train set
Crumb Cake, Daffodil Delight, Real Red, Marina Mist, Wild Wasabi markers
Real Red grosgrain ribbon
scallop edge punch
Top note die

1 comment:

Thanks for taking time to leave a note! I appreciate it so much!!