Monday, May 9, 2022

Poet

The lace beast is finally finished!  Man, this sweater was a slog.  I started it almost exactly 11 months ago, and nearly frogged it several times, but I'm glad I pushed through to the end.  It is a very pretty sweater, the fit is excellent, but I don't think I'll be revisiting this pattern.

Yarn is Cloudborn sport, part of the yarn I bought a year ago April in a great sale.  I'm finding it to be a pretty good yarn; it pills very little, has a good even ply, and has a nice feel in the hands while knitting.  The pattern is Poet by Sari Nordlund, and it has Issues.  I'm not sure if I received the magazine version that had a ton of errata, but the lace chart was hard to navigate in conjunction with the raglan increases, and I would have done better with it if she had explained it as a graduated raglan increase, the way Kate Davies does in the Doocot pattern.  

The written instructions were VERY difficult to integrate with the chart, and I really had to wing it, which is why I ended up with an extra lace repeat of about 10 rows after I put the sleeves on holders, but I didn't notice until I was very far into the body and I decided it wasn't worth tinking back to fix.   It's not terribly noticeable and looks almost intentional.


As expected, the neckline gaped after blocking, so I used a yarn tail to snug it up like a purse string. The fix is nearly invisible, adjustable because of how I left the ends, and saved me having to redo the neckline umpteen times to get the fit right. I'd already knit it twice and worried about wrecking the lace edge with repeated attempts.


We had a bunch of rainy days that cooled the weather significantly (yay!) so I was able to wear this yesterday for Mother's Day and was quite happy. The skirt is thrifted and I am happy to have a denim skirt that fits again, although this one needs some elastic in the back waist for a perfect fit. It's on my to-do list for this week.

Also on my to-do list: Swatch Moar Sweaters!! (ha!)

2 comments:

Thanks for taking time to leave a note! I appreciate it so much!!