It's hard to know what to write these days. I'm deeply grieved by the war (for many different reasons) and find I cannot write about it now, if ever. The situation is highly complex and I dislike the way that the Narrative About What Is Happening is being twisted to suit simple explanations. I feel my general lack of agency keenly.
It does feel frivolous to share my sewing and knitting in the present moment, but I like to have a record of it here to refer back to later. (Sometimes I wonder why I do, since it really serves no one but myself, and I weary of adding my poor voice to the chattering classes, but I find I do not want to quit this space just yet).
I made the same size 10 as before, but shortened the body so I could put the bottom band on it. The arm-to-hem length is about 11", which I think is a good length. I'm starting to feel like Goldilocks with my sweater lengths, as I can't quite figure out what I like best. 10.5" is right at my waist, but can pull up the back, and 12" is bordering on frump-town, so 11" feels like a happy medium.
And on that note, I recently reknit the bottom of my Cypress sweater to add some short rows to the back hem and slightly lengthen the body as well as make it long-sleeved. Now I'm all: Add All The Short Rows! to my previous knits.
But I digress. This Toaster is a nice weight, and more sweatshirt-like than my first one, but I've worn it several times since I made it. It feels like a good transition piece on its own and a decently warm piece with a long-sleeve layer underneath.
The color is more complex than it photographed--it has an undertone of berry in it that gives the rust a great rich color in person. Imagine dipping rust in red wine and that will get you close. I really like it.
The silhouette is perhaps a bit more casual than my usual semi-fitted, but my clothes are all over the place right now with my body shape in flux.
I am fully with you re the Present Situation. I love that you are here. Ans i always like seeing what you make.
ReplyDeleteThanks, friend. I know you are deeply grieved by it all.
DeleteTo misquote Shakespeare, "Silence is the perfectest herald of strong emotion; We were but little effected if we could say how much." Praying for peace in the world and in our hearts right now.
ReplyDeletep.s. I like reading your sewing posts! They are an inspiration for a novice like me, and the details are helpful.
Thanks, I appreciate the comment (and the quote-Shakespeare speaks my language!) I'm glad the sewing posts are helpful to you as well; it gives me some energy to keep at blogging. :)
DeleteAck and Alas! Affected, not effected. I'm always mixing the two up.
ReplyDeleteNo worries; it happens! We're all human.
Delete