Monday, October 18, 2021

Free Range

I'm mostly a skirts and dresses gal, but every now and again, I find myself wanting to wear pants.  And am not able to find anything that fits my proportions properly.  I have one pair of skinny jeans with a flat waistband that is just okay, but the fit in the seat still leaves a lot to be desired.  Since this is my year of Sew House 7, I figured I might as well give the Free Range Slacks a whirl.  I'm trying new things, and since the Remy was basically designed for the Free Range Slacks, I figured, why not?

Trying it out on My Body Model

After stalking the Instagram hashtag for a few weeks, and dithering about which view to make, I finally decided to go with the straight leg version, as I was kind of crushing on the silhouette, even though I know it isn't my best look.  Then I dithered a while about the fabric, before going with the Brussels Washer Linen Yarn Dye in black.  Again, not a color I would normally gravitate toward, but I saw another blogger with similiar coloring to mine make the pants in that substrate/color and thought it read nicely on her. 

Straight leg with Remy Raglan

The sewing was relatively straight forward, and like all my Sew House 7 makes so far, I find Peggy always has some clever construction bit that I've never done before.  This pattern was no different, as the yoked pocket is constructed without a facing, which greatly reduces bulk in the front, a nice feature on a pant with an elasticized waist.  I also liked that there were a lot of seam lines to make adjustments if need be (although in truth, I needed no modifications except for length).

I made a straight size 12 (I was between a 12 and 14 on the size chart, but a look at the finished measurements convinced me that I was better off sizing down).  I ended up with a 2" hem instead of the 1" specified, and possibly could have gone another 1/2" or so, but cropped pants are so tricky!


The waistband construction is to make a casing with waistband facing and insert the elastic, but I like the Elemental Skirt elastic application because it prevents the elastic from bunching or rolling around, so I did that instead, and then sewed down the edge of the casing as instructed.  I originally tried turning the edge under as with the Elemental skirt, but it looked weird on this pattern.  

The fit is superb, I have plenty of room in the seat, the rise is great, and I felt really great in these pants, for about three wears.  In my quest for skirt unicorns, I had wondered about converting this pattern to a skirt, and had done so with some wonderful silky noil. 

You'll notice that I shortened the 3/4 sleeves on my Sphinx Remy to short sleeves.  I figured I'd get more wear out of it in the summer, when I actually wanted to wear it, but was too hot in anything but short sleeves.  I did the same to my white one and am reasonably pleased with the results.

After wearing the noil skirt several times (stay tuned for pics), I decided I would be happier if the pants were turned into a skirt.  It didn't hurt that the weather stayed gross well into October and I found the pants slightly stuffy, which was not my intention for this make.  


I'm not sure I got the length quite right, but it is just below the knee, and similar in silhouette to the purple skirt from last week.  It's not my favorite thing, but I'll wear it.  I don't know if converting the pants was the right thing, but I'm also not sure that I would have continued to wear them, so it's hard to say.  Maybe just call me Meg?  Perhaps the slim leg option might be a better silhouette for me, as evidenced by my playing around on My Body Model:


But maybe I just need to embrace the fact that I don't enjoy wearing pants all that much.  On the upside, I do really like this pattern as a skirt (another unicorn!), and I will use the clever yoked pocket application in other contexts too, so nothing is wasted.


The top is a true Frankenpattern in handkerchief linen, part of Juliana's Sewing to Keep Breathing campaign.*   I used the Sorrel dress bodice for the shoulders and the Portrait blouse for the waist shaping and length, the Coco dress for the boat neckline, and the Carson dress for the sleeve.  And I got it out of a yard.  The color is amazingly rich.  I plan to make a robin-egg blue one today.
  

*On a personal note.  Things are pretty tough right now.  My dad was diagnosed with lung cancer last week, having never smoked a day in his life, and is in hospital on a lot of oxygen.  They are trying to get him stable and move him to the oncology unit to map the tumor and give a round of radiation so that he can maybe go home in a week or so.  Through Divine Providence, he's at one of the best hospitals in the world, and I'm grateful for all the ways that we see God's hand in this, but it is also agonizing.  Please continue to lift us up.

6 comments:

  1. I think you're crazy for turning those great pants into a skirt (nice skirt though!) because the fit was great. Mind you, if you never wear pants, it makes perfect sense. And you can always make them next time you have a hankering.

    And on the personal note: it never ceases to amaze me how illness is not fair. Like, it can be utterly, spectacularly, shockingly unfair. What I will say say is that excellent medical care is a huge part of the battle won (regardless of the prognosis) and good medical care in America is as good as it gets. How fantastic that the hospital is amongst the best in the world! Consider what fantastic hands he's in medically. And, on the topic of spirit - I can only imagine that your dad is a person of faith (if your path is anything to go by) - in a family of people who believe strongly in (and benefit from) the strength of faith. I am willing to bet that he is receiving wonderful thoughts and prayers from a veritable village of people, constantly. And those thoughts are powerful. I wish there were something tangible that I could do or say to mitigate pain and fear and sadness (and apologies if I'm projecting). Know that you are not alone. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apparently that is the general response to my hack, but I really am getting more (happy) wear out of the skirt, so I think it was the right move. I can always make another pair if I really want to. Especially now I know they fit well!

      And thanks for the note about my dad. I am very grateful for all the ways that the Lord is taking care of us in this terrible situation. I never expect life to be fair, and I think it is worth reminding myself from time to time that God doesn't take away the terrible circumstances of life, but accompanies us through them, even if it doesn't always feel that way.

      My dad is ready to meet God if that is His will at this time, and there are indeed many people praying for him (and us) and helping in other humbling ways. I have felt much steadier as the week has worn on, and attribute it to the many people praying for us, because I was a hot mess all last week and the beginning of this week.

      I do so appreciate your notes and thoughts, and don't think you are projecting at all! Death comes for us all eventually, and I think anyone who isn't scared on some level is kidding themselves. Love to you, my friend.

      Delete
    2. xoxoxo Just so you know - still doing all of the positive thinking and prayers. And don't be concerned if you go through moments of miraculous calm followed by moments of internal chaos. The chaos will abate (alas, as will the calm). Death comes for us all eventually, but those who have a way of being in the liminal space are very blessed.

      Delete
  2. Those slacks looked fine on you. It is a shame you converted them to a skirt. Like you, I used to be a mainly skirts/dresses person but I am gradually wearing trousers more and I am planning to join the rest of my colleagues by wearing black trousers to the office this winter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm honestly much happier with the make as a skirt, and have worn it several times already But I'm glad you've found some trousers that you feel great in!

      Delete
  3. Speaking as a fellow skirts and dresses gal, I'm impressed that you made trousers at all! I occasionally think of doing so, but there are always so many other things I would rather spend my sewing time on. Getting a unicorn skirt AND a go-to trousers pattern sounds like a win to me!

    I have more reason than many to know that life doesn't really do 'fair', but I'm still acutely aware of its injustices. Your family are all in my thoughts, and I hope that you continue to find some relief in your sewing. x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking time to leave a note! I appreciate it so much!!