Saturday, October 2, 2021

A rose by any other name...

...would be a Capulet.  Ha! 


Today's project was an attempt to salvage a skirt from last summer that I loved the fabric/color, but not the fit.  The linen was to that perfect level of softness, and I wore it a lot last year, but struggled to get the fit right this year.  The elastics were initially too tight, so I made them longer, and then the thing felt too big and schlubby. 
 

I submitted two designs to a crafting magazine in September that had a very specific palette, and the dusty rose of my skirt was one.  I had embroidery threads out already for the submissions, and the two worked so well together I decided to try embroidery on the pocket edges as part one of the fix.  

 

The embroidery design was from a packet of patterns I bought a long time ago.  I enjoyed the process of embroidery quite a bit, and like the result very much.


My attempts at alteration of the skirt's fit, however, less so.  I will say it does fit better than before, and I like the inverted pleats better than the previous iteration, but the pleats are uneven enough to make my eye twitch (something I only noticed after taking the photos--oy!), and the skirt still feels like it has too much volume.  Although, looking at the photos, it looks fine.  It's a feeling I have when wearing it more than the look of it.


After taking off the waistband and reapplying it three times in variations on the fit at the side seams, I gave up.  After this wearing, I washed it and put it in my fabric bin to deal with another day, as I'm out of matching thread and ideas (having started with a full spool, to give some idea of how many seams were applied and ripped out in the course of this alteration!).  My patience for the project is gone.  


I probably need to deconstruct the whole thing (except for the pockets) and recut it on a narrower pattern to see if I like that better.  What I really want to find is a summer skirt pattern that looks good in linen but is relatively slim and straight--i.e. the Elemental skirt in a woven, or my Anne Adams 9481 in the drapier linen.  This seems like an impossible ask.   I know, I know, I should just try something and see how I get on with it.  Maybe I'll find a magical unicorn!

5 comments:

  1. When you find the unicorn, pls send her my way! Also, gorgeous embroidery!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Unicorns will always be shared amongst friends. :)

      Delete
  2. The embroidery definitely adds to the sense of the fit, in that it draws the eye up and down along it, which elongates the feel of the skirt.

    Such a pretty colour. I can see why you didn't give up on it. Good luck finding your unicorn!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking time to leave a note! I appreciate it so much!!