Over the years, I've nattered on quite a lot about body image in this space, and I think it is worth revisiting every now and again. Three years ago, My Body Model launched their app, which is produces custom croquis (pronounced kroh-key) according to the measurements inputted into the algorithym. There are some tweaks you can make for individual body quirks like bust height and the bulge below the hips at the top of the thighs and some other proportional things.
The advantage of a croquis that looks like me is that I can draw out garments before making them to see what they look like on my body. My proportions are far from industry standard--industry standard being a woman 9 heads high and slim enough to not need things like internal organs. Just what we consider the cultural visual ideal here in late post-modern capitalism. The average woman is 7 heads high and there is no "standard" for the other measurements. But I digress. As usual.
Earlier this summer, I started sketching garments I already owned or had made in previous seasons, as an idle exercise. It turned out to be quite useful as it helped me see what I already had, what I was actually wearing/wanted to wear, etc. I even used it as a packing tool to put together a cohesive suitcase.
![]() |
| Suitcase options... |
At some point, Birdie noticed these sketches, and I gave her a page to draw on once when we were waiting somewhere. She has been drawing and coloring since then, happily making up garments and coloring them as it suits her. Ponchik has gotten in on the action as well, and, surprisingly, so has Boo. Boo is designing superhero uniforms (natch).
![]() |
| By Birdie |
![]() |
| By Ponchik |
After a few days of much concentrated coloring and designing (it was a great way for the girls to pass time on the long plane ride to California), I realized the value of giving them croquis of me. Or more precisely, of my body shape, which is definitely not shaped like Black Widow or a fashion model. It normalizes my shape for them, I think. I thought about making croquis of them, so they would be designing on their own bodies, but the app is a little pricey for such an endeavor, so I think I'll stick with the files I already have.
![]() |
| By Boo |
I suppose it is just a drop of sand in the ocean of cultural imaging, but put enough sand together and you just might have an island.









That's amazing that you've turned it into a family affair! All it takes is paper and imagination - and I completely agree that you should share a croquis of the body type they know and love. I have this croquis but, though I wish I were the kind of person who sketched outfits and had mood boards (like a fancy designer), but my brain just doesn't go there (at least not as yet). I actually designed my own croquis years ago, before the software! From a photo! Didn't use that one either. And it took me forever to produce (again, not a natural talent!)
ReplyDeleteI actually haven't used them very much for designing. I think it is a great idea in theory, and I have tried a few sketches prior when I thought the proportions weren't going to work on me, but mostly, I just get on with it when I'm working on something new. :)
Delete